MiMail Virus/Worm

Big Elf 18:39 02 Aug 03

Yesterday I received an email purporting to come from admin@(my user name).freeserve.co.uk which had the following message:

"Hello there,

I would like to inform you about important information regarding your
email address. This email address will be expiring.
Please read attachment for details.

Best regards, Administrator

and the subject line "your account tontuotu"

It contained an attachment 'message.zip' and as it looked suspicious I didn't open the attachment and instead ran AVG which didn't detect anything.

Today I downloaded the AVG update and ran the check again and this time it detected the MiMail worm which was then healed and removed from my system. For details about this new worm/virus click here

I would strongly recommend that you update your AV signatures and not open an email that has a sender in the form shown in my first sentence.

VoG II 18:42 02 Aug 03

More info click here

This might explain why I've had two updated virus definitions in the last 24h.

Big Elf 18:46 02 Aug 03

I wish I'd had the sense to post this earlier as I've got the horrible feeling this may have hit quite a few people who would otherwise have had some warning.

canard 19:52 02 Aug 03

Cheer up Big Elf you've told lots of us in time, and thankyou.

mammak 22:33 02 Aug 03

Yes thank,s again Big Elf, it,s good that we can all tell each other about these thing,s because no matter what AV we have these thing,s appear day to day and we need to keep on top, again cheer,s Mammak

Big Elf 10:22 03 Aug 03

boingy, boingy, bounce, bounce, bounce, bump, bump.....splat!

Just in case anyone missed it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…