.mim file? anybody know?

pj123 14:27 03 Jun 03

Can anyone tell me what a .mim file is please?

It is supposed to be a graphics attachment to an email. I have tried opening it in quite a few graphics editors but to no avail. I have tried paint shop pro, irfanview, serif photo plus,
photoshop, and Thumbsplus. No go.

Thank you.

-pops- 14:32 03 Jun 03

Have you asked the person who sent it?

Personally, I would be extremely suspicious of any attachment. One with an extension I didn't recognise would be straight in the bin, no matter who it came from.

pj123 14:40 03 Jun 03

Yes I agree with what you say. This came from a family member and is supposed to be a photograph. I have emailed her and asked to resend it as a jpeg. Will see what happens.

beeuuem 14:53 03 Jun 03

I agree with you both, if in doubt delete it.
This link may be informative but doesnt change the wisdom of being careful, particulary with unknown attachments
click here

pj123 16:39 03 Jun 03

Thank you for that link. That has opened my eyes a bit more. I did have an idea that mim was short for mime. The problem is, it doesn't appear to be downloadable. There is no paperclip to click on to download attachments. I won't delete it until I get an answer to my email to resend it in jpeg format. I do have AVG checking emails and it didn't indicate a virus.

BillEmm 17:46 03 Jun 03

I remember MIM. Most e-mail programs could deal with them and for those that couldn't there was a freeware decoder program.....but I just can't recall what it was called.

AOL users had problems with these things.

What e-mail program are you using? I thought all the standard ones were able to decode mims.

MIME is not really an attachment as such, but is incorporated into the message by the e-mail program itself.

Not very helpful but best I can do.

pj123 18:19 03 Jun 03

Well funnily enough I am on AOL. But I seem to remember when I first started it that there was something about MIME. I thought I had sorted it.

I think my best bet at the moment is to wait for the resend in jpeg format.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…