A million minutes to copy

Catastrophe 09:23 10 May 04

In copying from one partition to another (backups) the notice giving remaining time sometimes slips from even 10 seconds to 660,000 minutes ... and has been over a million minutes (about 2 years).

Clearly it sorts itself out eventually but I am curious to know the cause.

Both partitions check OK with Norton. Last time this happened (a few minutes ago) the E partition had just been formatted. My first reaction was a disk fault but Norton says no (unless surface which was not run).

Windows 98SE Ctrl copy Ctrl paste or ctrl c ctrl v
Folder size 4.24GB.
933 MHz Pentium III. C: 8.61GB 6.80GB free
D: 33.15GB 28,53GB free E: 26.84GB 22.23GB free.
Problem is between D: and E:.

Any ideas welcome :)

Diodorus Siculus 10:04 10 May 04

I don't know why the notification is so long but it may be that it finds a large file (say 100mb) and then thinks that all files are that big so calculates the time based on that factor.

Only an idea...

Why not have a look at Cobian backup, or EZBackup to automate it for you.

Stuartli 11:17 10 May 04

When I use Windows XP Backup it often tells me that the time remaining runs into one day, so many hours and so many minutes...

Catastrophe 14:43 10 May 04

Thanks guys. Just as a matter of interest I ran full surface Norton on both and they passed.

I can accept that the prog keeps reassessing 'time to go' on the basis of file size currently being read, but it seems strange to get down to 10 seconds and then jump to 600,000 minutes??

Since it is not a problem to me I will mark it solved. Thanks again for both your comments.

:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…