Migrating Win 98SE data to new-build PC Running XP

dregn 19:46 27 Jun 04

I have just completed building a new PC for a friend. ( MSI 865E, P4 2.8 , Antec 480w PSU.
Samsung 160 GB SATA HDD )
I have installed Win XP Pro and everything is now running very smoothly.

I have partitioned the 160 GB drive into
C drive : 30 GB for System
D drive : 30GB for Applications.
E drive : 40 GB for Data
I have only installed a few util. programs including Norton Utilities 2003.
My friend's existing PC is about five years old and is running Win 98SE.

I am unsure of how to go about migrating the contents of the drive in the old machine to the new one.
The old machine does not have a CD writer but I do have a Maxtor OneTouch external drive which could be used.
I am unsure of transferring her FAT32 files to the NTFS formatted disk on the new PC.

There is still about 50 GB unformatted space on the single SATA drive on the new PC. Should I format this space as FAT 32 or maybe the HDD on the 'old' machine could be transferred to the newly built box ??

Any advice
and/or tips will be much appreciated.

Agent Smith 19:55 27 Jun 04

I had two drives on my pc an 80 gig as C and a 10 gig as D two separate HDDs. one formatted as NTFS and the smaller as Fat 32 and had no problems moving data from on to the other.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:05 27 Jun 04

XP can read both NTFS and FAT32 you could insert old drive as slavve on new machine and just wipe win98 folders or copy data to D:/ or E:/

dregn 06:22 04 Jul 04

Agent Smith Fruit Bat /\0/Thanks for your advice which is most helpful. I am sorry for not responding earlier as I have been laid low by a 'bug'.

As soon as my friend returns from holiday I shall put your procedures into effect.

Again, many thanks.

prima12 11:35 04 Jul 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…