Migrating my Thunderbird settings from XP to Win 7

Pathologist 16:39 19 Jul 10

I want to copy all my Thunderbird settings, address books, emails, etc from my present XP Pro computer to my new Win 7 one. I can't work out how to do this. Ideas please.

Newuser939 19:22 19 Jul 10

Use Mozbackup to copy all your settings, address books, emails etc on your old computer and then use the same program to "restore" them to your new computer. I have just done it from XP to Windows 7 and it works.
Download Mozbackup from
click here

Pathologist 14:28 20 Jul 10

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

griffon56 23:06 23 Jul 11

I tried the identical thing and whereas Firefox backed up and restored OK, T'bird restored with all sorts of weird features, like emails in the Sent box from 2007 which were titles only, no emails in the Inbox at all, an Address list which was old and so on. A total heap of the proverbial. I've still got the old Win XP desktop from which I could do another backup, but what's to stop that one from being a heap of rubbish too. Please describe exactly how you did both actions, I have a feeling there's something in refreshing the profile before backing up or creating a new profile or something which I'm missing. The problem is the longer I go on the more emails I'm going to lose off the new computer as the old profile restores and deletes the profile being used. T'bird 5.0 keeps asking for a password it doesn't allow to be set, promising to remember it and failing and generally being much, much less convenient to use than the older versions. Help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…