Migrating from BT Openworld to Zen Internet.

nkosi 09:54 04 Sep 03

After years of frustration I have finally achieved a fast, reliable internet service (BT Openworld broadband)with IE6 set up the way the whole family likes. Nothing to do but enjoy surfing and keep the security up to date. Ho hum. Mr Smug! Now BT Openworld tell me that I HAVE to upgrade to a childish looking Yahoo browser full of content that I don't want. I'm trying to establish whether I will be able to re-instate IE6 as my default browser or whether Yahoo will hijack my whole setup, but as yet no answer from BT.
I am very tempted to move to Zen Internet as they seem highly rated and use the same connection type (ADSL, Alcatel USB modem, as BT Openworld).
My question is - has anybody on the forum any experience of migrating from BT Openworld to Zen or any other thoughts or advice for me.

Djohn 13:06 04 Sep 03

Not too sure on the migration procedure, but quite a few forum members use ZEN as their ISP, all have said how good it is and that the time taken from applying for an account to being on-line is only 5 days. The ADSL guide constantly places them at the top of their comparison charts each month as well. j.

If you are using BTOpenWorld broadband, then BT won't force you to swap to BT Yahoo. This is a new and different service that you can sign up to if you want to.

The new Yahoo service is supposed to make things easier for people who are new to computers and the internet. More experienced people will find that the original BTOpenWorld suits them better.

See the "BT Yahoo" article two-thirds of the way down this page click here for more details.

nkosi 13:47 04 Sep 03

Thanks for your comment. According to the zen website, all I need to do to migrate is to give them my CBUK number from my existing ISP and they do the rest. It sounds easy enough, but being old and wise (?), I'll leave the link open for a while and see if anybody else has an opinion or some experience. I think that if the new BT Yahoo browser takes over, as I suspect it might, then I won't be the only one looking to move from BT!

nkosi 13:55 04 Sep 03

Thanks for pointing out that article. It does sound from that as though I may still be able to use Internet Explorer. However, I am not totally convinced as the faqs on BT Yahoo Broadband suggest otherwise click here

-pops- 13:58 04 Sep 03

This is waht BT say about it in click here

"Do I have to move to the new service?

Yes. The existing service will be phased out over the coming months. However, it's quick and easy to upgrade, and the new service will be an even better experience. And, at no extra cost, it's even better value."

Djohn 14:04 04 Sep 03

click here for the ADSL guide site. If you look on the left of the page you will see links for comparison of ISP's and also to their forums. If you go to the "Compare" link then select several ISP's you will see the performance figures from ZEN. From there click on the ZEN link, it will take you to their own forum, you will need to search hard to see any complaints at all, let alone one that is serious. Regards. j.

nkosi 14:05 04 Sep 03

"the new service will be an even better experience. And, at no extra cost, it's even better value."

Mmmm. A better experience for whom, do you think? I'd prefer to compare the old to the new and choose my own experience. My gut feeling is that I could keep my existing 'experience' at even better better value by moving to zen!

Thanks for that. I hadn't seen that and neither had the people at adslguide it would seem.

This is indeed worrying. I am happy with BTOpenWorld and don't want to change to the Yahoo package. As I am on a 12 month contract though I guess I won't have any choice !!!!

After years of waiting for ADSL, I now have it, only for it to be changed to something I don't like. Brilliant !!! Well done BT.

nkosi 14:07 04 Sep 03

Thanks again for the link. You guys are quicker on the keyboard than me. I'm going to get a cup of tea and read it.

-pops- 14:29 04 Sep 03

It won't be a better service for me, I'm sure. I'll have to use it I suppose to get connected but after that, I'll use it the same amount as I use the BT website facilities now - i.e. not at all.

As I've said in another thread today, it is rare for me to use IE and even when I do, it most certainly isn't BT as my home page.

I can never understand why they have to change a (reasonably) successful setup with some dumbed down "kiddie" version of a browser. They've obviously never heard of the adage "if it ain't broke - - - "

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…