this might be a daft question but......

Cessna 19:41 30 Jul 04

this may be a simple what is one plus one question, but it has occurred to me and i have been thinking about it for a while. Broadband is of course "always on", but is it actually always on? what i mean is, could someone see my computer and try to hack into it if i am not actually using internet explorer or outlook express? does my computer only show on the net if i am using a program that is accessing something on the net, or can it be open to tampering just being turned on?

TomJerry 19:50 30 Jul 04

Yes, you computer can be hacked into. If you are worryed, get a Firewall software installed and it will list all potential attack.

Zonealarm is a wonderful one, free version can do great job click here. If you want to see where attack come from, you need Pro version which is not free.

Chegs ® 19:50 30 Jul 04

It can be open to tampering just being turned on,unless you have a firewall.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:56 30 Jul 04

If your are connected your vulnerable. you need a firewall, antivirus software antispyware and apopup stopper good combination:
firewall ZoneAlarm click here

Anti Virus :- AVG antivirus click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here

remember to keep them all updated

zootmo 19:57 30 Jul 04

your computer is always connected to the internet whilst it and the broadband modem are on. So that even if you are not online it is possible for an application on your machine to be online without your knowledge. Do do you have a firewall/antivirus running?

zootmo 20:15 30 Jul 04

a feature of most decent firewalls is that you can stop any program from accessing the Internet. Also in most good firewalls you can stop all Internet traffic if you so wish.

Dorsai 20:24 30 Jul 04

I asked this qeustion a while back.

click here

And the replies i got seem to be in contradiction to the replied here (unless i am being dense).

But as i understand it, BB is always avaliable, but not always connected. So as long as you are not signed in (on my PC a small icon, showing sorta two very small PC's, in the botton right of the task-bar), then you are in effect, not on the net, and are relativly safe.

But don't forget the AV, anti-Malware, etc. these are vital these days. A firewall seems to be a matter of personal choice, as there are those who say they have run for years without one, and had no problem, but 'belt and braces', as a fire wall only seems to slow the PC down very slightly, and may well prevent the oportunistic attack, but it seems won't deter a deliberate entry, but then most home PC's dont have much on them to warrant a sustained attack from a deliberate hacker, or so it would seem. I know my PC has nothing of value on to anyone else, but what is on it is improtant to me. so i try my best to protect what is mine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…