Midi music input problem

Paranoid Android 17:26 20 Feb 04

I am having problems getting midi signals from a Yamaha PSR280 keyboard into Cubasis VST 4. Everything is connected, but no sound and no signal indicator in the transport bar.

The sound card is CMI8738 6-channel 24-bit card, connected via its midi port to the Yamaha's midi input and output termainals.

The system is an Athlon XP1600 with 512MB RAM running Windows 2000 SP2.

Unfortunately the Yamaha manual is pretty useless, it devotes 4 pages out of 70 to midi but nothing seems relevant to the problem.

If anyone can suggest some troubleshooting steps I would be grateful.

Marvin

-Beb- 17:44 20 Feb 04

I had the same problem (similar anyway). Firstly, the cable that says IN should go into the OUT port on you keyboard and OUT goes into the IN. Secondly, the problem could be your sound card. Try using a good sound card such as a creative audigy witht the latest drivers. I upgraded to a hercules digifire 7.1 last year and they are brilliant sound cards and are very cheap

Paranoid Android 18:04 20 Feb 04

Hmmm - I was wondering if the card was up to the job. They glibly talk about 'general midi compatible' but not specifically about inputs or music. I deliberately chose a 24 bit card because I thought it would be up to the job.

I'll consider the Audigy, but these are a tad expensive don't you think? I'm also looking at the range of Creative Labs 5.1 cards available for £ 30 - £ 35. Are these likely to be any good for midi ?

Marvin

Peverelli 21:41 26 Feb 04

Yes, the Creative Labs 5.1 card worked fine for me before upgrading to the Audigy card. Are you going to be listening to the output through your keyboard's speakers or the PC's? I have a Yamaha DJX and the keyboard's speakers have slightly better (more realistic) sounds than the PC's speakers using the Audigy card. You will also have to check the midi settings on Cubase, they may be set to the wrong input/output channels.

Paranoid Android 10:21 27 Feb 04

Thanks, I will bear this in mind. However the sound card he is using is 24 bit (48 KHz) 6 channel full duplex with MPU-401 MIDI UART, so it should be up to the job.

Unfortunately the PSR280 doesn't seem to have a LOCAL OFF function, so I can't control what comes out of the speakers very well. For this reason the plan was to turn down the volume control on the keyboard and use PC speakers.

However I am still getting nothing at all.

Is there something I need to do on the PSR280 to initiate midi output, or can I just switch on and play ?

My understanding is that the PSR280 uses channels 1-16, I think this means it outputs on all 16 and I just choose which channel to input into Cubasis, is this more or less correct ?

I can't help the feeling that I'm missing something fundamental here.

Marvin.

Peverelli 11:30 27 Feb 04

Yes, all midi keyboards transmit using channels 1-16. It will output on all 16 channels but, obviously, only the channels with "information" on it will be heard (that is, when we can get it set up properly for you). I'll look up on the PSR280 and see what I can find out for you. Generally you'll use Cubasis to choose which channel to record on, selct the 'instrument' on the Yamaha, play and record. Does Cubasis tell you what inputs and outputs it's currently using? Did you swap the midi cables around as in -Beb-'s suggestion?

Paranoid Android 11:52 27 Feb 04

OK, I thought the instrument could be selected in Cubasis (VST instruments) is this correct? Also I had assumed we could download more sounds and voices later to suit.

Yes we have tried the cables both ways, currently in to out and out to in, and we can get midi tracks on the HDD to play through the keyboard.

However we cannot at the moment get the keyboard to work as an input device for Cubasis.

This is all new to me, I'm trying to get it working for my son. He uses Cubasis VST at school but of course the equipment is already set up. I really appreciate your efforts on this one, no Dad likes to look like a thicko !

Marvin.

Peverelli 13:14 27 Feb 04

It took me a while but I finally located the manual for your keyboard. On Page 74 of the electronic manual it tells you how to select local on (holding down the lowest D note (key) whilst switching on). I assume this also works the other way around, so if you currently have Local "On" holding the D note as you power up turns it to Local "Off".

Looking at the PSR's Midi Implementation chart suggests that the problem is at the PC's end as the keyboard is set up to transmit and receive from an external sequencer (ie. Cubasis). I assume you must tell Cubasis where to send and recieve midi data. My version of Cubasis is different to yours and I can't find any info on how to select input, so I'll have to look around. My version seems to accept any incoming signal. Maybe you'll have to look at your sound card properties as I assume your midi cable is attached to (via) the sound card.

Will be back later.

Peverelli 13:26 27 Feb 04

I can't seem to find the VST 4.0 manual online (can anybody help here?). Have a look for "midi input" in your manual and see if it explains how to set Cubasis up to 'listen' to your keyboard. Dog is demanding his walk now, so I must go.

Good luck, got to keep your son impressed with his dad. ;O)

Paranoid Android 16:29 27 Feb 04

That's interesting, the pdf manual is different from the printed one. Looks like Local Off is the default setting when you switch on the power.

I have the pdf Cubasis manual, 5 megs zipped though. I think I have done everything right, but I'll go through it again.

Marvin

Peverelli 17:57 27 Feb 04

I've checked with a few friends who are also Cubasis VST users and they report that their programs also seem to accept any input. It's different with Cubase SX, but that's not what we're talking about here. I'm tending to think that the problem lies with the sound card - you'll have to check out its midi settings. Maybe you have to manually enable midi on the card.

If you like you could email me the pdf manual and I could browse through it to see if there's a solution there (although at 5 Mb you'll probably not want to do this if your on dial-up). If you want to do that, click on the envelope next to my user name and send a short email. I'll reply and then you can send the pdf.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…