midi interface vs xp media center: frustration

adopted.son 01:04 29 Apr 08

I'm looking into piddling w/ midi, specifically SysEx dumping from a DR-5 by Boss (Roland)and then after I (ever) learn Sonar 7 Producer, diving into more of the wonderful world of midi. Prior to bidding on an M-Audio Audiophile interface, I noticed (fortunately) that it's not compatible due to Media Center Edition (wish I'd-a known) computers do not support "third-party sound devices."
QUESTION: what mods may I have done or do myself to accomidate my wishes, bearing in mind that I'm really a drummer-turned-home-studio-recording-artist-rockstar-wannabe. :)

blessings to all!
eric, St.Pete,Florida
P.S.: I love all of you here at PC Advisor's helproom! You've "saved my bacon" bunches!

MCE2K5 01:18 29 Apr 08

Hi Eric,

Could you explain what your wish with Midi is,

and where does 'Media Center Edition' fit in.

p.s. What's the weather like.

adopted.son 02:42 29 Apr 08

My midi wish is to:
a) learn what the devil I'm doing in the first place. LOL!
b) do a SysEx (I've recently learned this term. System Exclusive. What it means remains a mystery...) dump from song patterns programmed in my Boss Dr. Rhythm Section DR-5 to my computer. There's an app called DR-5 Edit that will enable programming the DR-5 from the desktop, too. For that, I need an interface so I was browsing eBay. Then I found that M-Audio interface device and while reading up on it then discovered the note that the Windows Media Center Edition XP loaded computers do not support "third party sound devices." I just acquired a Gateway with the XP media center edition. Apparantly that's a whole different OS than XP Home and XP Pro.
I am barely over being a rank ameteur in computers, and I'm still a bit dangerous to my PC, but I am a quick study.
Is my dillemma imagined or is it easily rectified by installing and aftermarket sound card and driver? Or am I way off base here?
My desire is to be able to produce music on my desktop using the Cakewalk Sonar 7 Producer DAW software. No small feat for a half-century-old former rock'n'roll drummer who's married with children.... At least I've a wall filled w/nice guitars LOL!!!
Oh, and I misspelled "accomodate" in my beginning thread...
blessings!
eric

PS: It's in the low 80s temperature-wise, and partly cloudy. Normal for Springtime on the Suncoast. Still plenty of sunburned sand-gritted yankees around to annoy us with their driving habits! LOL!

MCE2K5 22:37 29 Apr 08

1: 'Windows Media Center Edition XP' is 'Windows XP Pro' with added bits.

2: If your Gateway PC Boots straight into Media Center, Just Quit MCE and you will have XP Pro.

3: "Then I found that M-Audio interface device and while reading up on it then discovered the note that the Windows Media Center Edition XP loaded computers do not support "third party sound devices.": This is just Vista Not XP Pro.

A bit of reading,
Roland System Exclusive Implementation click here.

So Plug in and get Experimenting, (ENJOY).

David.

p.s. Raining Cats & Dogs, Here.

adopted.son 23:30 29 Apr 08

David:
"If your Gateway PC Boots straight into Media Center, Just Quit MCE and you will have XP Pro."

How do I do that?

Thanks for the link. Going there next.
Don't mind the cats'n'dogs. That's why God invented the DAW!!!

be blest!
eric

MCE2K5 00:43 30 Apr 08

To Exit MCE

1: click here

2: click here

adopted.son 02:27 30 Apr 08

Thanks, Mate!
Now if you'd create the ultimate music program- the one where you attach electrodes to your noggin and you just THINK of a composition.......
be blest!
eric

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…