Microstar2000+AMDXP Lost Files

banzia 23:38 21 Mar 03

Hey folks,

I have an Microstar 2000 + AMD XP desktop,(see specs below). I purchased this system less than 1 year ago; from Dixons it came with a bundled support CD which I would use to take my system back to factory settings.

My HDD has a partition setup with C: boot, D: backup, E: recovery. I did not realise that certain folders held within either D: or E: were crucial with regard this bundled cd. I have deleted these files and when I tried to use the support cd it stops and informs me that a particular file is missing ( RETTEN.EXE) and the recovery process will no longer work. It goes on to inform me that I now have to install everything manually. I have searched the CD and my HDD for these/this file without success.

Can anyone help with this, is there someone reading that has the same system. The manufacturer is a company called Medion and I have also emailed them.

I look forward to hearing from you all

WinXP Home
CPU AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.667MHz)
Motherboard MS-6382 Ver.1
Memory 512 MB DDR-RAM (Max. Memory 1GB)
Hard Drive 40GB UDMA/100 Seagate ST340810A
CD Drive 16x DVD-ROM
24x10x40 CD Writer
Floppy Drive 3.5 1.44MB diskette drive
Speakers Creative SBS35
Video Card nVidia GeForce 4 MX 420 64MB + TV Out
Sound Card Soundblaster PCI 128 Onboard
Modem Creatix V.90 HaM Data Fax
Firewire VIA VT6306 Controller (1 Type A and 1 Type B port) - On Modem Card
LAN Realtek RTL8139 10/100 LAN Controller
Haupage TV Card (added by me, not part of original spec)

woodchip 23:49 21 Mar 03

A big mistake!!!! you need the Delete key removing from your Keyboard

woodchip 23:53 21 Mar 03

If you go careful, they may supply you with the missing files on a CD

internetevil 23:49 25 Mar 03

you wont be able to get in on cd it would have been several gigs in size (wont fit) as it is an image of the c:\, only way to get it back would be a re-ghost entire hdd
your best bet is to reinstall windows by booting off the product recovery drive perform flat install of xp (perhaps get rid of partions as not needed now!)
and install the drivers (modem sound graphics etc) from the application cd (in a folder called driver) you may find product key on sticker on back of pc.
Hope that helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…