Microsoft word/works 7

sarah01 20:52 09 Jan 03
  sarah01 20:52 09 Jan 03

I'm soon to go on a course to up-date my wordprocessing skills. I will be using word, and would like a copy of this wordprocessing program on my laptop. I have looked at the details of microsoft work suite 2003, and this seems to include a full copy of word. I have also looked at the details of microsoft works 7, and am not sure if this has the same copy included. Can anyone enlighten me at all??

This is my first post here, so any help would be appreciated.

Djohn 21:08 09 Jan 03

Found this bit of info for you, from the looks of things it is different but others will confirm. Welcome to the forum, Regards J.

Although the word processor can save documents in Word format or the more widely accepted rtf, the default is the proprietary wps (Works format).

This is annoying, as if you don't save as wps then Works will class your document as unsaved and untitled, and every click of the Save button then counts merely as a 'Save As', forcing you to select your format again.

It does, however, include an adequate subset of Word's functions, which should be more than enough to get all but the most demanding of hacks up and running.

Djohn 21:17 09 Jan 03

click here and read this review, especially the last paragraph. J

Peter E 21:39 09 Jan 03

If you are to enrol as a student you will be entitled to buy MS Office XP student licence edition. I understand that it costs about £110 and includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Outlook. At PC World it's £120 including a "free" printer.

click here

Seems a better bet than Works.

sarah01 22:57 09 Jan 03

Peter, What does student licence mean. Do I have to prove that I am going to study?

Djohn 23:22 09 Jan 03

sarah01, Peter E may not be on-line at the moment, as to your question, I was not asked to produce any proof when I purchased my copy of word some two years back, I was attending an adult evening course at the local college.

Our tutor had provided all of us with a card from the college, but as I've said it was not required.

To the best of my knowledge anyone who attends further education or has children in school qualifies for this discount. Regards J.

rev.bem 23:51 09 Jan 03

microsoft works contains works word processor which is not the same as word.
the cheapest way i know to get word is to buy a version of microsoft worksuite.
if your laptop has a dvd drive

click here

and scroll down towards the bottom
if not

click here

and scroll down to look at worksuites
hope this helps

rev.bem 23:56 09 Jan 03

sorry on second link
pc software,

Peter E 23:59 09 Jan 03

I'm back again. Like Djohn says, you may not be asked for proof. If you are, a copy of your enrolment form should do - but when you install the software you agree to be bound by the licence agreement and I think Microsoft are happy with that.

When buying software it's worth checking out if there is a discount for students etc. Oh, and shop around for Office XP. It may be cheaper elsewhere.

spuds 00:53 10 Jan 03

If you wish to follow up on Microsoft's Students Software, I would http:click here for more information.Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…