Microsoft word pages

podlod 09:28 09 Dec 09

Hi, i have Microsoft Office 2003, and I am at the moment writing a book, and my prob is that I have an Introduction of 4 pages, and then my book commences, but the numbers of the page include that of the Intro and I want the page numbers to start on chapter 1 of my book, which at the moment starts at page 4. I have tried to remove them and start again but do not know how, I have tried going into Insert, then page, and even page break, but nothing seems to work or how to start with my chapter 1 as page 1. Please tell me how to resolve the prob in laymans terms, thank you.

Pamy 09:45 09 Dec 09

Are you going to just print the book yourself, or have it printed by a professional printers?

If just yourself then I would save the first four pages, then start your first chapter as a new document.
I am sure there is a way to do what you want.

BRYNIT 09:47 09 Dec 09

This may help click here

skeletal 11:14 09 Dec 09

There are a number of ways to do this (being a M$ product) but probably the simplest is to separate your document into two sections by inserting a “Next page” section break.

I’m using Word 2007 ATM so the exact details are a bit sketchy, but in principle go to the end of your introduction and do Insert/Break/Section Next page (I think…going by memory!).

A really useful tool in all this is the “Pilcrow” button. Look on the tool bar for the button that looks like ¶. Press it and you will see all the formatting marks and positions of section breaks etc etc. When Word does its usual funny stuff, seeing these formatting marks can really help you. (Pressing again removes the marks).

Once the document is in two sections go to the footer in the second section (i.e. main body of the document) where the page numbers are needed and in the header/footer tool bar that should pop up look for the button “Link to previous” (Again I’m going by memory) and make sure the sections are NOT linked.

You can now insert your numbers and, if necessary, reset them to start at 1.

You can now go to the footer in the introduction and, if you want, insert page numbers there. The point now is that in the intro section you can format to use Roman numbering (i, ii, ii, iv etc), and Arabic in the main body. This is very effective IMO.

BRYNIT’ link does offer a lot of info and is worth a look, but as a simple starting point try something along the lines of my suggestion.

Skeletal

There are a number of ways to do this (being a M$ product) but probably the simplest is to separate your document into two sections by inserting a “Next page” section break.

I’m using Word 2007 ATM so the exact details are a bit sketchy, but in principle go to the end of your introduction and do Insert/Break/Section Next page (I think…going by memory!).

A really useful tool in all this is the “Pilcrow” button. Look on the tool bar for the button that looks like ¶. Press it and you will see all the formatting marks and positions of section breaks etc etc. When Word does its usual funny stuff, seeing these formatting marks can really help you. (Pressing again removes the marks).

Once the document is in two sections go to the footer in the second section (i.e. main body of the document) where the page numbers are needed and in the header/footer tool bar that should pop up look for the button “Link to previous” (Again I’m going by memory) and make sure the sections are NOT linked.

You can now insert your numbers and, if necessary, reset them to start at 1.

You can now go to the footer in the introduction and, if you want, insert page numbers there. The point now is that in the intro section you can format to use Roman numbering (i, ii, ii, iv etc), and Arabic in the main body. This is very effective IMO.

BRYNIT’s link does offer a lot of info and is worth a look, but as a simple starting point try something along the lines of my suggestion.

Skeletal

skeletal 11:15 09 Dec 09

How on earth did I get two copies in one post???!!!

Skeletal

wiz-king 12:16 09 Dec 09

Easy - wrote it in Word?

skeletal 12:57 09 Dec 09

Te he...how did you guess!

Skeletal

podlod 08:48 10 Dec 09

HI, Tried everything, managed to remove the numbers on all pages after break, then decided to replace page numbers now i have the break, but number 1 still reverted back to my Intro page automatically, now if I can just get the number 1 on my chapter 1 which is on the 4th page I have conquered the prob, but it still eludes me???? Cannot see section break anywhere? any more advice please, but be clean.

skeletal 10:00 10 Dec 09

In your newly created second section (page 4) click on the Insert menu,
Click Page Numbers;
Click Format;
In the “Start at” box, enter the number 1.

“Cannot see section break anywhere?”

Have you clicked the Pilcrow ¶ button as per my previous post?

If so, where you inserted the break you will see something like:

:::::::::::::::::::Section Break (Next Page)::::::::::::::::::::

Given that this works on every computer I’ve ever used, if you don’t see it, I don’t have a clue what has happened!

Skeletal

lotvic 00:12 11 Dec 09

There is a 'Book Manuscript' template for Word 2003 in the 'Online Templates' Microsoft.
Might be useful.

podlod 11:02 17 Dec 09

Hi thanks again for all your help Skeletal and have carried out your advice, i actually got to section break but what do I do after that as I still do not have any page numbers on any of the documents, and somewhere along the line I have accumulated more pages? my senility must be creeping in?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…