Microsoft Word keeps terminating

fzappa 22:27 13 Nov 03

Hi-my problem is that very shortly after I start Word, a window entitled "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library" appears with the message "Abnormal program termination". Then Word closes. This problem has just appeared and won't go away even after using System Restore twice. I'd be grateful for any help .Thanks

VoG II 22:35 13 Nov 03

Try a search for the file NORMAL.DOT (you will have to enable search for hidden files and folders). Rename it to ABNORMAL.DOT then start Word. If that doesn't work, rename it back and let us know.

Djohn 22:37 13 Nov 03

click here;;Q307817 If this link works, it will explain the problem and solution. I have a little trouble with Microsoft links, so if anyone can make it work, will be grateful. j.

Djohn 22:39 13 Nov 03

Hi VoG, didn't see your post, the link above offers a solution. I know that you will be able to make it work. :o)

VoG II 22:40 13 Nov 03
  keverne 22:44 13 Nov 03

Do you have Microsoft Works installed?

Djohn 22:47 13 Nov 03

It says,

CAUSE
This behavior occurs if a program conflicts with the Mosdmn.exe and Mosearch.exe files.

The Mosdmn.exe and Mosearch.exe files are part of the "Support for fast searching" feature in Office XP. This feature is similar to the Find Fast feature in Microsoft Office 2000. Fast searching uses the Indexing Service in Office XP to create a catalog of Office files on your computer's hard disk.

Djohn 22:49 13 Nov 03

Method 1: Clean Boot with Only MoSearch
The Mosearch.exe (Microsoft Office Search Service) and Mosdmn.exe (Microsoft Office 10 Search Filter Daemon) Startup items may be conflicting with some other program (or programs) running in the background. Therefore, clean boot your computer with only MoSearch selected on the Startup menu to determine whether this program is the source of the conflict. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type msconfig.exe, and then click OK.

On the General tab, click Selective startup.
On the Startup tab, click to clear all check boxes except for MoSearch.

NOTE: In Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), leave the *StateMgr check box selected as well.

Click OK, and then click Yes when you are prompted to restart the computer.

If the error message can be reproduced, repeat the preceding steps. In step 3, also click to clear the Process System.ini file and Process Win.ini file check boxes.

Djohn 22:59 13 Nov 03

This link may work. click here

Djohn 23:00 13 Nov 03

No, it didn't :o(

VoG II 23:04 13 Nov 03

Oh yes it did!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…