Microsoft word docs

donmar 19:12 19 Apr 09

I have Vista and copied over to my new computer a lot of word documents. I can see them all on my desktop but when I try to open them all I can get is rows of yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys and no text.

I can write and save as and print but cannot access them at all. I have word on this machine also.

Any help gratefully received.

Thank you

howard64 19:57 19 Apr 09

could this be the fact that the latest version of word uses a different format to previous versions? Have you got the latest version on your old pc and an earlier one on the vista pc? Try downloading the free word viewer for word 2007 to the vista pc and see if you can then read the documents.

grey george 20:15 19 Apr 09

Vista often ships with a trial version of office 2007 which uses docx files rather than doc. There is a free upgrade downloadable from MS that makes older version compatible. If you start word then select open I think there is a drop down box where you can select the file type.

Sea Urchin 22:28 19 Apr 09
  donmar 21:18 20 Apr 09

Thank you all very much.
I have tried everything you suggested but nothing seems to work.

I am trying to work with Open Office now but still cannot open them.

grey george 21:32 20 Apr 09

Can you open them on your old system?

donmar 22:30 20 Apr 09

hello grey george

i'm very geey also and its past my bed time so i am off to bed but yes on another mcchine I can open them.
Thanks for your help.

grey george 22:38 20 Apr 09

Open them on the old system and then choose save as from the file menu. There is a drop down menu offering various file formats, it's a case of trial & error but try each one at a time. If your old system has a net connection you could try emailing them to yourself on your new machine and see if that works.

donmar 11:45 21 Apr 09

Thank you grey george the email idea was great and I emailed the docs I needed to myself.

The file types idea seemed not to work,I just got a list of folders on the computer.

I am very gratefull for your help thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…