microsoft word deleting US dictionary

tell 02:07 10 Sep 03

Hi guy's, is there any way i can delete the US dictionary from word as It is driving me mad, I have done all I can to use the UK dictionary in spell checker but what ever I do it will revert to the US dictionary,
I have checked all previous posts and tried the sugestions, none have helped yet

Taff36 08:24 10 Sep 03

Let`s go back to basics. What operating system are you using and which version of Word?

Are you by any chance working on documents that have been originated by someone else?

tell 23:41 10 Sep 03

Windows 98se, with office 2000,the work is all my own labouriously typed with my own dainty great mits

Ben Avery 00:02 11 Sep 03

Go to tools>Options and select the spelling and grammer tab.

Click on Custom Dictionaries and under language, choose English UK.

Select the ok button and back on the S&G tab options look for something like Main Dictionary only.

Type some UK AND US words and hit spell check.

Ensure that you select English UK and click the OK button.

At the bottom of your document you will see English U.K. in the bottom toolbar. Double click it.

Now click on English UK and click Default. Also ensure that you untick any box reading "Detect language automatically"

If you do all of these I'm pretty sure that, although you wont delete the US dictionary (I don't think you can do that) you should find the UK one takes over.

BA

Taff36 07:37 11 Sep 03

Also when you close down word accept any changes made to the Normal.dot template. (If you get prompted)otherwise you might have to do it again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…