Microsoft Word application on a 'go slow'..

DaveWiseman 12:31 08 Apr 05

I run MS Word 2003 as well as using it as an editor when sending Outlook e mails.

Howeve whilst sometimes it runs smoothly most times after I ve written a few lines or so it goes slow and lags behind my typing. Eventually the application just 'freezes up' though if I wait long enough the typing I've done will come up. I can hear my pc processing each letter but doing it very slowly..

Its a HP machine, Intel Pentium with 2.66 GHz CPU. I'm running windows XP Home v 5.1, SP2 is not installed. There's circa 260mb of physical memory available to Windows.

Ive Windows firewall on & a Mc Afee virus scan but it makes no diff with it off or reducing security settings. In fact nothing I ve tried seems to help. I really need MS Word for my work and its driving me slightly crazy.. can anyone please try and help me at all?

Yoda Knight 12:45 08 Apr 05

Your ram is currently throtteling your pc - upgrading will definately give you better performance

Yoda Knight 12:51 08 Apr 05

you can also check the cpu usage in task manager to see if some other app is hogging resources

DaveWiseman 13:04 08 Apr 05

Thanks but the CPU usage is fine.. I dont think the ram issue would cause the *continual* problem with the go slow.. though agreed it could def benefit from a bit more ooomph..

sgoku 13:16 08 Apr 05

when you dont have much ram a simple application such as word can 'stall' dnt forget windows xp like to hace 256, so when you open up other apps you are pushing your system to the max.

An extra 256 would doo the world of good for your pc.

sgoku 13:16 08 Apr 05

when you dont have much ram a simple application such as word can 'stall' dnt forget windows xp like to have 256, so when you open up other apps you are pushing your system to the max.

An extra 256 would doo the world of good for your pc.

sgoku 13:17 08 Apr 05

opps sorry for the double post

DaveWiseman 11:42 09 Apr 05

Yes but this really ISNT the problem folks .. honest!

Word should simply not slow to a crawl like this with 256megs of ram..

Sorry but has anyone else got any suggestions? I have had this problem for a few months and no one seems to come up with any solutions as to why it might be happening..

DaveWiseman 23:32 10 Apr 05

I can add it only seems to occur with MS word applications..

lotvic 14:56 11 Apr 05

I did a google uk search for

normal.dot corrupt

click here

lots of help sites thought the above looked good

lotvic 14:59 11 Apr 05

should have been this:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…