Microsoft Word

lintony 13:34 01 Mar 03

I have Windows XP. I have twice had to have it reset to factory settings because of serious porblems. I now find that when I try to get in Word 2000 an installer window pops up. I have been asked for the number of the jewel case which of course I don't have as these discs don't come with Windows XP. Any ideas?

-pops- 13:38 01 Mar 03

How/where did you acquire the Word 2000 other than from a disk?

Brian

Taran 13:51 01 Mar 03

Most manufacturers send out their PCs with Word/Works and similar on separate disks, although some do include these features on a hidden partition of the hard drive. Either way, if the software came with your PC, you should have the means to restore it.

Can you confirm that Word 2000 shipped with your PC or has someone installed it for you since you bought it ?

Remember that Word is not an integral part of Windows, although many people seem to think that it is. Word is part of the Microsoft Office suite of applications; quite separate from Windows.

Check your computers documentation carefully for any details of restoring the application software.

Regards

Taran

-pops- 18:28 01 Mar 03

Moving up before it disappears on to page 3.

Brian

-pops- 18:35 02 Mar 03

Received by email:

"Windows XP comes with an application called Home Affairs. Microsoft Word is part of this. It wasn't installed separately."

My Windows XP didn't come with anything called Home Affairs and none of the two dozen or so XP installations I've done came with it either.

The only times I have seen M$ Word available is a. part of M$ Office, b. part of M$ Works or c. a stand alone product. I have never heard of Home Affairs and a search of Google doesn't show anything that fits. Can you explain a bit more please?

Oh, and also could you reply via the forum rather than by email. This way others with more knowledge than me can possibly make a contribution and also, I'm not very efficient in checking my Netscape mailbox - as you will note by the delay in responding

Brian

jolorna 19:35 02 Mar 03

the only place i can find home affairs mentioned is if you have a packard bell computer click here which shows the software

Djohn 20:21 02 Mar 03

home affairs, appears to be a selection of software that you can purchase separately form the PC itself.

It goes on to list all the programs that may be useful for home use, but does not seem to suggest that they come with the PC. pre-loaded, or on disk, unless you purchase them.

misters 21:17 02 Mar 03

Can I just add that Word 2000 came pre-installed on my pc but also come with a booklet of some sort teaching how to use word on the booklet was the serial number. Dont know if this helps though?

lintony 16:07 03 Mar 03

Thanks to all who replied. I have now resolved this problem.

Diemmess 17:45 03 Mar 03

Please tell us how?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…