Microsoft Word 2007 styles

Gary Wood 12:07 14 Aug 07

I am working on a lengthy document in Microsoft Word and want to use styles to format the text, headings etc.

I've defined styles for the heading successfully, but want them to be numbered. I've worked out how to do basic numbering, so that he first heading is 1. the next 2. etc. However, I want something more complex, as follows:

Heading type 1 should be 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 etc, throughout section 1. Section 2 should then start 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 etc.

Subheadings in each section should be the heading number with an extra digit, e.g. 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 2.1.1, 2.1.2, etc.

Is this possible with Word?

Gary

VoG II 12:14 14 Aug 07

It is certainly possible but I don't have access to Word 2007 at the moment.

In earlier versions:

Format > Style > New button > Format button > Numbering button > Outline Numbered tab.

Gary Wood 12:39 14 Aug 07

Thanks, VoG™.

I've looked at Word 2003 on another machine and it works exactly as you say.

However, I still can't find the relevant options in Word 2007. In the numbering options for styles, there's no Outline numbered tab.

Anyone know where it's hiding?

VoG II 12:45 14 Aug 07

Try Multilevel List on the Home tab.

masteritdotie 13:28 14 Aug 07

Gary,
The Multilevel List on the Home tab is exactly what you're looking for. You can choose your style of levels, or you can customise it to get your own if the built-in ones don't suit you.

(Don't forget to keep saving that lengthy document - I write from experience!)

Gary Wood 19:32 14 Aug 07

Thanks, VoG™ and masteritdotie. This seems like it should be able to do what I want. However, I'm having problems integrating it into my document, because much of the document is already written.

I need to be able to apply the numbering to the styles used for headings etc. rather than to the headings themselves. Do you know if/how I can do this? I'm sure it ought to be possible because it seems to be in Word 2003.

masteritdotie 19:48 14 Aug 07

It is obviously easier to do these things as you're going along, but if the document is well under way just highlight all the relevant text and choose your style.
It may just come out as
1)Your text
2) Your text
etc.
Unhighlight them and use the "Increase Indent" which will make 2) appear as 1.1 or whatever. Further increasing the indent would make that 1.1. become 1.1.a [or whatever style of multi-levels you have chosen.
Does this help?

Gary Wood 20:07 14 Aug 07

masteritdotie,

I've tried highlighting everything and then choosing the appropriate multilevel numbering, but it just numbered every paragraph!

I currently have headings formatted as style heading, subheadings formatted using a style called subheading 1, and sub-subheadings formatted as subheading 2 style.

This was why I was trying to set the numbering in the style itself, as, it seems, would have been the way to do it in Word 2003. Word 2007 seems to have just made it much more complex.

Any ideas how I can achieve it?

Gary

masteritdotie 20:17 14 Aug 07

Gary,

I'll play around with your problem and will let you know if I can come up with a solution.

Anybody else got any ideas?

masteritdotie 20:52 14 Aug 07

Gary,

I'm blessed that I don't have a long document to play with! But I wonder if this will do what you want.
I selected Style Heading 2 (for example), right-clicked it and chose "Modify Style". In the bottom left hand corner there is an option to "format". From the "format" options, choose "numbering" and you will see a very familiar dialogue box. Select the numbering style you want.

I can't try it out, but I think it might help to resolve your problem :-)

Gary Wood 21:50 14 Aug 07

masteritdotie,

Thank you for looking into this for me.

I've tried modifying the style, but the numbering options that you can choose are not suitable. I can choose 1. or i. etc., but not #.#, #.#.#.

This is exactly where the difference between Word 2003 and Word 2007 seems to be. In 2003, as VoG™ notes above, you can select a tab, in the numbering options, called Outline numbering and this does have the correct numbering formats.
It's either gone, or moved to a very obscure place, in Word 2007.

Any more ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…