Microsoft Word 2003 Problems

Aaaaargh! I'm close to giving the PC a gentle tap with a 10LB SLEDGE HAMMER.

Please help. I'm using MS Word 2003 and it's causing my pc to completely freeze up. I can open a document or two without any problems, but as soon as I start to manipulate any of the text, the whole lot just stops. I've tried updates from MS website etc, no luck.
Can anybody please advise, thanks.

Kate B 12:35 20 Feb 07

Tell us more - your PC's specs, for starters, anything else you're trying to do at the same time, have you done scans with all the usual antimalware apps ... ?

recap 12:50 20 Feb 07

It could be that the Normal.dot file is corrupt?

Rename the Normal.dot file to Normal.old, re-start Word and it will automatically create a new Normal.dot file.

Hi Kate B

AMD Athlon XP 1800+
Socket A Motherboard 266MHz
1GB PC3200 DDR RAM
60GB & 80GB Hard drives
Nvidia 6600GT 128MB
Windows XP Home SP2

(I know it's quite an old machine now)

I've not been doing anything else I haven't been doing before at the same time, it's not unusual for me to be running multiple software. This only started 2 nights ago. I haven't carried out any scans as yet, what would you recommend.

Thanks recap, I've had to re-boot the pc a number of times and re-start word, no change.

recap 13:37 20 Feb 07

Carry out scans for Viruses/Malware etc.

wee eddie 13:47 20 Feb 07

I'd also add a "Defrag" and a clearing of the *.tmp files. would also recommend a good blow through of all the fans etcetera. This has nothing to do with the problem but may help.

You say that you can open a couple of Documents but the PC freezes when you start to manipulate any of them. How much do you have open when this happens. We had a Thread, earlier in the month, where the Poster had his whole book as a single file, I cannot imagine what size your average paperback would be as a single Word Document!

Have you used Belarc to make sure that your spec is all in place?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos