Microsoft Word 2000 Document freezes on opening

Henmin 18:24 06 Feb 04

Hi Folks,

Has anyone had this problem? Each time I try to open a Word Document the Initial Microsoft Word 2000 window opens - the Icon Window/Welcome Window - and freezes. The Hour Glass and Arrow appear and I can't do a thing from then on. HELP Please!!

I restart my computer to find that it sometimes starts the long diagnostic procedure.

VoG II 18:28 06 Feb 04

Do a search for - search usind show hidden files and folders.

Rename it to

Try starting Word.

Henmin 18:44 06 Feb 04

Hi VoG,

I went to Start - Find - Files & Folders. Typed found it. How do I change it to

VoG II 18:45 06 Feb 04

Right click it and select rename from the pop up menu.

Henmin 18:59 06 Feb 04

Hi VoG,

WOW! It works!! Thanks a million.
Now what happens to the
I had this problem once before when I first got my new Evesham more than three years ago but I can't remember what Evesham Computers instructed me to do. Anyway thanks once again, much obliged.

VoG II 19:01 06 Feb 04

Word will have created a new

You can delete if you wish.

Henmin 19:13 06 Feb 04

Hi VoG,

SORRY! I should have asked this question earlier. How or Why does this problem occur. I have 98SE.
I suppose with XP this wouldn't happen.

VoG II 19:18 06 Feb 04 is the default document template in Word. Unless you use a startup switch to prevent it, this loads every time you start Word. If this file is corrupted Word will hang or crash.

Why this happens is anyone's guess (well, I don't know). What I do know is that it seems to happen more often in Word 2000 than any other version.

The version of Windows (98, XP etc.) won't have any effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…