Microsoft Word

Yad 21:24 22 Jan 04

Recently, when launching Word-by clicking on the icon on desktop-it takes much longer to be ready.
Hard disk capacity is 40GB and processor is AMD XP 1.8

Any idea on possible causes.

Big Elf 21:45 22 Jan 04

How much longer?

usjeff 21:47 22 Jan 04

which version of word ? Stand alone or office suite?

Chris the Ancient 21:49 22 Jan 04

When did you last have a good tidy up and defrag?

VoG II 21:50 22 Jan 04

Could be a corrupt document template.

Do a search for NORMAL.DOT - you will need to enable searching for hidden files and folders. Rename it to ABNORMAL.DOT then try starting Word.

If that doesn't work, rename the file back and post here again.

steve0 21:53 22 Jan 04

Are you running Norton antivirus - I've known some of the updates to the program increase time taken for Office programs to open as it does a virus scan

Big Elf 21:55 22 Jan 04

Why I was asking that is that 12 months ago Word starting up in 2 seconds compared to 10 seconds with an older PC would seem fast. A year down the line, perceptions change and 2 seconds might seem slow.

Big Elf 22:20 23 Jan 04

From email

"thanks for your response It is now taking considerably longer. I recently installed Ad-ware 5 and I remember vaguely that when I run a scan, it showed some Word documents and indicated that they were not recognised;I may have deleted those inadvertently. is there a connection? Tks & rgds"

I'm not sure but an upgrade to AdAware 6 would be a start.

A reinstall or detect and repair of Word might help.

usjeff 22:58 23 Jan 04

try VoG's suggestion & let us know..

wee eddie 21:56 24 Jan 04

For a while mine was set to scan any document I launched.

As this appeared to start at about the time you started launching from a desktop shortcut, it might have decided to do a scan of Word

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…