Microsoft Windows XP Update

dogbreath1 21:12 29 Apr 09

My PC has just updated via Windows Automatic Update.

Prior to update, it was set to bypass the login page on boot. On reboot after the update, the login page is displayed and asks for a password to access my account. Thing is, I have never set a password!

Can't System Restore coz I don't have sufficient privileges, so where do I go from here?

TIA,

db

VoG II 21:18 29 Apr 09
  dogbreath1 21:36 29 Apr 09

Thank, VoG™.

Method 1 only lists the guest account. 'Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer' doesn't appear as an option.

Method 2 - opening TweakUI doesn't display Autologon when I expand the Logon branch.

Method 3 - am about to try to obtain the latest service pack for the .NET Framework.

Will post back soon!

dogbreath1 21:40 29 Apr 09

Won't allow me to access Windows Automatic Updates because I am not logged on as Administrator!

woodchip 21:43 29 Apr 09

If you look in Control Panel\Accounts you will Find you now have two Admins Delete the last one created by MS updates

dogbreath1 21:47 29 Apr 09

Have tried launching various apps. Strange behaviour apparent! HP Smart Web Printing tries to launch on each occasion, giving an error message, 'Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product HP Smart Web Printing. The Windows Installer cannot continue.' After 'OK'ing the error message THREE times, it disappears and the app that I was trying to launch eventually does!

dogbreath1 21:53 29 Apr 09

I wish I had!

Control Panel>User Accounts only shows the Guest account.

Start>Log Off>Switch User reveals 'Steve' (my account which has admin rights) and 'Guest'. To access my account, I am prompted to submit a password.

dogbreath1 22:30 29 Apr 09

You've gone worryingly quiet, guys!

dogbreath1 23:11 29 Apr 09

Free or paid for password recovery software, anyone? Lots out there, but do they work?

lotvic 23:51 29 Apr 09

Reboot, keep tapping F8, when menu comes up choose 'Safe Mode' and 'Admin'
instructions click here click here

woodchip 00:25 30 Apr 09

Do a restore, off to bed now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…