Microsoft Windows Updates

pjelliott 23:45 19 Sep 05

when i try an check for updates in winxp i get a box informing me that files required to use microsoft updates are no longer registered or installed on my computer i then click to register and install files for me it tells me that software files are downloading after download im back in welcome screen i try to download but it just tells me im not registered and files are not installed can anyone help please

johnnyrocker 00:37 20 Sep 05

do you have a valid installation?

beeuuem 00:59 20 Sep 05

The exact error message would help to determine what ,if anything, can be done to solve the problem..

pjelliott 10:48 20 Sep 05

yes it is a valid installation and sometimes my system gos down and a error message will come up as follows
error code C0000005
module msxml3.dll at address 749898BD

not sure if this helps and thks to all for helping

Jackcoms 13:19 20 Sep 05

Sometimes the system files (those required to run Windows properly) can become corrupted.

Here's how to run a check on your system files:

• Click Start; Run.
• In the Run box, type cmd.exe to open the command prompt window.
• At the prompt, type sfc.exe /scannow
• Press ENTER. If Windows finds problems with the system files, you will be prompted to insert your Windows XP installation CD to restore the files.

If no problems are found and the scan finishes, type exit and press ENTER.

pjelliott 15:55 20 Sep 05

re jackcoms advice it came back telling me that some dll files were missing and i shud insert professional service pack 2 to get the files back i tried my normal winxp service pack 2 cd but it tells me that it is the wrong cd yet its says on my cd for winxp home edition,professional,media centre edition and tablet pc edition shud i go ahead and use this cd or do u think its the wrong one?

pjelliott 14:36 21 Sep 05

Re my last posting winxp asks for windows professional service pack 2 cd to update my dll files when i put my normal sp2 disk in it says wrong disk is there another one can anyone help please??

Terry Brown 15:34 21 Sep 05

I assume you have XP basic or XP SP1 CD (because you have the XP2 service pack.

Download the Boot disks from Microsoft (Requires 6 floppies)for your CD--Make sure you get the correct version; (XP 1 is not the same as XP 2 or XP basic)Set the machine to boot from floppy.Put the first Floppy in A drive and the CD in the primary CD Tray(Normally the one with the lowest letter (if you have 2 drives). Follow te prompts on screen, and after floppy 6 you will get the blue screen (Terms)press F8 to continue then press ESC (advanced options), select repair. XP will check your system, uninstall your current system and re-install.
You will need to re-install SP2 again as well as the service packs, all otherfiles on your system should be OK, but save all your working data to an external device or second Hard drive to e sure.

Jackcoms 15:39 21 Sep 05

You should insert the CD for the operating system which was installed on your PC/laptop at the time you bought it, irrespective of whether you've since installed SP1 or SP2.

bretsky 15:53 21 Sep 05

Read this click here it could be that msxml3.dll is missing or corrupt, look at the replies 11+17 with links.

bretsky ;0)

pjelliott 11:57 22 Sep 05

have found the missing microsoft file i needed on thanks to all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…