Microsoft Warning over virus!

Ade_1 15:24 04 Jan 06

Dont know if anyone has seen in the papers or heard but a massive virus is goign round possibly crashing comptuers and deleting files. Apparently there is a gap allowing this virus in. Taken straight frmo the paper - "The gap allows computers to be infected using programs mali-infected inserted into seemingly innocous image files.
In most cases an attack on a computer needs its user to download or activate a suspect file.
But because of the gap, a computer could be infected by simply viewing aa webpage, e-mail or instant message containing suspect image."
Thought it was best to let you know as its clearly very malicious. If you have todays Daily Mail its on page 8 at the bottom. with heading "Microsoft loophole leaves comptuer open to attack"

Ade_1 15:26 04 Jan 06

forgot to add that Microsoft technicians are workign on a security download patch. It could be next tuesday by time its available.

pauldonovan 15:27 04 Jan 06

I'm pretty sure they are talking about the .wmf vulnerability which allows wmf files (images) to contain code which can be executed.

We have not decided to install any interim patch but instead set up a filter on our email and web filtering to catch wmf files. Also users should be reminded/urged to be wary of unknown websites and attachments.

Ade_1 15:43 04 Jan 06

ok, i am just reading and tell you what was in the paper.

Paul do you work for Microsoft?

Ade_1 15:46 04 Jan 06

sorry getting wrong end of stick ignore me, im not all with it.

pauldonovan 15:46 04 Jan 06

..when I re-read my post the "we have not decided" I thought it might sound like that.

I'm an IT director for an insurance company so was just advising the action we chose to take!

Ade_1 15:48 04 Jan 06

yes sorry paul, im not with it as i said :)

anchor 16:36 04 Jan 06

"Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution".

This is what it must be about; direct from Microsoft:

click here

Ade_1 16:49 04 Jan 06

yeh looks like it. Just going on what was said in the paper :)

pauldonovan 10:01 06 Jan 06

..seems like it is early as they were saying wednesday. Windows Update just alerted me to it.

recap 10:12 06 Jan 06

For support from Microsoft click here I downloaded and installed this on our server this morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…