Microsoft VM & Sun VM

kentylad 13:25 09 Oct 03

I currently have the Sun version of the Java VM, however I am required to run a web based applet which for some apparent reason; conflicts with this runtime. I have just this minute downloaded the Microsoft VM as I am told the applet works with this.

If I were to install the Microsoft VM, would it conflict with the Sun version? I assume I would have to select a default version?

Or should I just uninstall the Sun version and run the MS version?

kentylad 15:37 09 Oct 03

anchor 15:59 09 Oct 03

I know that the Sun version of Java and Microsoft Virtual Machine are not quite the same.

I only run the Microsoft version and never had any problems viewing any Java site. I did try the Sun version some months ago, and it gave me problems. I would suggest removing the Sun version, (I believe this can be done via the add/remove programmes in Control Panel), and installing the MS version.

You may need to enable "JIT compiler for virtual machine" in Internet Explorer, tools, Internet options/advanced.

bill sykes 16:18 09 Oct 03

... Although I had MVM installed by default, I downloaded and installed the latest Sun version some time ago because a program required it. The two versions have coexisted happily without any trouble. No settings had to be altered, at least in my case (WinXP). Good Luck..

kentylad 18:31 09 Oct 03

I have removed the Sun version, installed the MS version and all is hunky doory.

Doesn't make sense that the founders of the java language cant get a runtime to work for all applets written in their own language....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…