Microsoft Vista Release Candidate 1

Splodge 15:54 10 Sep 06

Hi all,
When you go to work tomorrow, you may receive an e-mail from Microsoft giving you the option to update your Vista beta to RS 1.

I have had the Vista beta on since the beginning of the testing period. I have Pentium 4, 200Gb HD and 1Gb DDR2 RAM. It took over 5 hours! In the process, having followed every instruction, using the Upgrade Advisor to ensure my installation was suitable AND deleting Nero because it has a conflict it F A I L E D. With the last few minutes left to install it found an error!

Under the circumstances, and, since it did not specify what the error was, I think I will wait until I buy my next computer with it already installed before I look at it again.

On the other hand I like the Office Professional 2007 beta and will buy as soon as the offer, at the reduced rate I presume, is made!

I know it self installs, largely, but you will need to keep an eye on it so...bon chance!

mr gee 17:56 10 Sep 06

I am having a very similar problem had a said in my later thread ---looks like RC1 is very fussy the computer it goes on but it would be nice if the error message as least told us why it failed!!

Splodge 18:15 10 Sep 06

Thanks for your reply; nice to know I am not alone!

Having said that, I do not intend to pursue it any more. To be honest I have lots of programs, they all work and as I have a back-up drive, updated weekly, I really do not need the aggro!

Also. I find the latest XP has been steadily updated and I think without our realising it many of the updates solve our previous problems.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

I also have a fee program " called Sidebar which mimics the Vista sidebar. It is at

click here

Splodge 08:03 11 Sep 06

An overnight thought!

You could try a clean install!

You might also like to try Magentic at;

click here

It gives you FREE the most beatiful wallpapers and remarkable screensavers! (unfortunately it is also not accepted by Vista)!

Splodge 12:55 11 Sep 06

Sure enough "Clean Install" works, but I hate it even though it was quick! Also it retains your previous documents.

Everything has to be re-installed and I like to look at my C drive and work down. I couldn't find it once I re-booted.. it just does not display. Also, you should copy your files to the new area before you log off, because they then appear to disappear for good!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…