Microsoft updates remove my internet connection

curly 17:09 10 Jul 08

I am running windows XP. The latest batch of 5 Microsoft updates has resulted in my losing internet connection. I only seem able to restore the connection by using the MS Restore operation. I am on AOL broadband. I would be gratful for any advice on how to adjust my setytings so that I do not continually have to use the Restore programme.

On another issue, how can I delete the automatic microsoft upgrades?

alB 17:16 10 Jul 08

Just have a quick look down the first page of helproom, there are a few threads, and fixes for this problem that has arisen over the last 48 hours ...alB

alB 17:18 10 Jul 08

click here ...alB

dnjl 17:18 10 Jul 08

We have 4 PCs (2 are laptops) and this happened to them all.

I went into add/remove programs and removed KB951748 but it still did not cure it until I removed KB890830. I tried varying combinations and ended up with all of them taken off.
Have also put my settings to "ask me first" so I don't get automatic downloads again.

I think an apology from MS to all is needed here.

Although I wonder why it has worked on some & not others. My brother-in-law has same XP system and uses AVG and ZA. but he had no trouble.

steve0 18:43 10 Jul 08

New version of Zone Alarm released this morning fixes things. Install over top of old version.

MuDelta 19:23 10 Jul 08

steve0

Yes, but now MS keeps telling me that ZA is off while ZA says it is not!

What now?

MDM

curly 10:49 11 Jul 08

Thanks very much indeed for your help. I will first install the new Zone Alarm programme and see if that is sufficient. If not, I will delete the files mentioned, AND I HAVE DISABLED AUTOMATIC UPDATES!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…