Microsoft updates

gazmix 08:39 29 Jun 09

Hi
Have pc that has auto update turned off & needs about 80 updates, i turned update on & has downloaded about 3 & prompts me to turn off to install!

Will each time i turn on pc, it download updates maybe a few at a time or should it download the whole lot at once!
Now, it seems they have stopped!

Cheers

rawprawn 09:03 29 Jun 09

It may be that because it is so out of date and some updates are sequential that it needs to update in stages.
Have you looked to see what all the updates are? is one a service pack for example.

gazmix 09:15 29 Jun 09

I think so.
I just turned pc off & it updated 33 updates, i then rebooted & it asked me something & i declined, something to do with piracy!!

I just noticed the yellow shield appear so i guess it has more updates ready!

I could post a belarc advisor log?

FatboySlim71 09:22 29 Jun 09

rawprawn is correct.

Some updates need to be installed before other updates can be installed.

It is always advisable to have updates turned on, even if you use the setting 'check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them'. This setting is what I use for Windows Updates, with this it allows you to see what update/s will be downloaded/installed.

rawprawn 09:25 29 Jun 09

" then rebooted & it asked me something & i declined, something to do with piracy!! "

What operating system, and you really should try to read messages carefully. You say you declined, but declined what?
Are you sure that yoou are running a genuine windows system?

gazmix 09:45 29 Jun 09

It was Windows Genuine Notifications Installation Wizard & Service pack 3 as it said i may have to back my system up & that sounds heavy duty!!

I can hear something happening in the background but when i hover my arrow over the yellow shield, it asks me whether i want custom or recommended install all the time.
IE 8 then IE 7, i don't use these, i just use Firefoix so i guess i don't need to install them or i could maybe if i ned to at a later date!!

If i shit down pc, will it start from where leaft of when i turn on again!

I thought i could just let it run whilst i'm out but i seee i have to keep accepting by clicking boxes.

rawprawn 09:49 29 Jun 09

IE 8 and 7 are part of the operating system, you need to install them even if you only use Firefox.
If I were you I would choose "Recommended Install"
so that you don't inadvertently miss a needed update.

gazmix 09:55 29 Jun 09

ok, i clicked on that & up came service pack 3, do i just go ahead & not need to back anything up?

Technotiger 10:00 29 Jun 09

You may find this of interest ... click here

gazmix 10:20 29 Jun 09

so i'll just let it run then, service pack 3, the installation wizard is backing up things, i guess then i reboot & then done!!

gazmix 11:02 29 Jun 09

Ok, i installed that, took a while, restarted & then repaired my messenger & did something to OE.
I assume thats it as its not automatically telling me about other updates at the mo!! & that i guess i'm up to date!! ?

I just get the 'Windows genuine advantage notification Wizard' after i boot!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5