Microsoft updates

Desperate-Dan 19:54 23 Apr 09

Hi, I bought a secondhand laptop, its had a clean install of winxp pro, the laptop works fine, I only have service pack 1, so I went to microsoft site to download service pack 3, every time i click on download service pack 3, it takes me to a window to show me how to enable auto updates, I enable auto update before I went online, what am I doing wrong I've never had a problem before with updates

peter99co 20:33 23 Apr 09

I think if you have set up auto update you should just wait and the updates should self start.

birdface 21:18 23 Apr 09

I think it is something to do with active X.
I always update manually 2nd Tuesday of every month.But sometimes it would not let me and I had to turn automatic updates on first and then I could download manually.it has not done it for a while so do not know why it should happen.Mind you I did run Dial A Fix so maybe that helped.

peter99co 22:19 23 Apr 09

On XP machine. I have set mine to notify me when updates are available. This allows me to check what is ready and how long I need to do the updating.

On Vista I have set for notify me to download and install updates.
This allows me to keep an eye on what is being installed. I can also check if completed normally.

OTT_Buzzard 23:05 23 Apr 09

I'm not sure from your post where you are trying to get SP3 from, but just in case, click here and you can download it as a single file for installation later. Ignore that it says that it's 'Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers'. It makes won't make a difference to you!!

Desperate-Dan 10:11 24 Apr 09

thanks for that, thats where I was going wrong I was looking for service pack 3 for xp pro, I downloaded and installed it from your link no problems,
I have another problem, I downloaded the drivers from toshiba, but when I tried to install them, I get a dailog box come up saying ( please insert the last disk of the muli-volume set and click ok to continue) in device manager I have a question mark over, mass storage controller, network controller, and PCI modem.

OTT_Buzzard 10:24 24 Apr 09

Sounds like its expecting more than one disk full of drivers.
If you go to the Toshiba website and download / install each of the drivers individually it should avoid the problem.

Desperate-Dan 10:43 24 Apr 09

ok thanks I try that and post back later

Desperate-Dan 19:30 24 Apr 09

I downloaded all the drivers ok. no more question marks in device manager, thanks for your time and help much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…