Microsoft Updated

ruthcruet 16:03 05 May 06

Can anyone give me some advice.I have a Windows XP Pro,it was given to me as a presant so as far as I know it is not registered with Microsoft{or so it tels me when I try to download anything from them} BUT I keep getting updates send to me from them, up to now I have just loaded them,what I am trying to say is do I have to do this as I must have tons of them upto now and have no idea what they are for. As you may have realised by now is that I am quite new to computers so if I get rid of all these updates will it effect the computer???

Jackcoms 16:06 05 May 06

Yes, you do need them.

Simplistically, they help Windows to run better and improve its security.

Jackcoms 16:21 05 May 06

I see you've ticked this thread as resolved.

I think the phrase you're now looking to post is "thank you".

ruthcruet 19:18 06 May 06

Sorry I did not send the thank you, so I am saying it now, thank you very much for your help it was greatly appreciated. But just after your email I got an update sent via Microsoft to update,well I clicked on the update but seem to have now got a blue star on my lower task bar and a message when I log on to say that I have a counterfiete copy of Microsoft???? is there any way I can get rid of this, or at least stop it from showing up every time I log on.Once again let me appologise for not saying thank you
Ruth

Arnie 19:35 06 May 06

a hologram? The shiny reflective picture effect, something like that on the realm's banknotes.

Was it in a sealed box?

Arnie 19:43 06 May 06

Windows Validation Assistant.

click here

ruthcruet 20:08 06 May 06

Thank you all for your advice, but I do not have a CD for the set up of windows, the pc was a gift and it came with nothing[not a genuine microsoft set up] so not a lot I can do, and as I am a pensioner I can not realy afford to purchas a ganuine copy.

ruthcruet 11:07 07 May 06

THANK's to every one for your help.But have now sorted it, so in case anyone else has the same problem this is what I did.I first went into updates, turned off the notification button then did a system restore.Problem solved, If you turn the updates on again it will just re-load it, so have decided the best solution is for me to chech for updates manually.thank you all for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…