Microsoft Update/Belarc Advisor

Badger Manutive 11:33 02 Aug 09

My Windows HP Home computer is set up to receive Microsoft Updates automatically, but the only ones I get are for Windows Defender.
When I periodically run Belarc Advisor it often reports that some Microsoft Critical Updates are missing - I then have to go to the Microsoft Update site to search for them and download them manually.
Has anyone else been affected this way?

Stuartli 11:43 02 Aug 09

Why not change the Security Center's WindowsUpdates configuration to Notify Me Of Updates But Don't Install Them?

Then, when the yellow Microsoft icon appears in the Notification area, you can click on it and Choose Customise from the panel which appears.

You are then able to pick and choose which downloads you wish to accept and OK it; a panel will ask if you wish to be reminded of those updates you have deselected - confirm No.

The required updates will then download and be installed (sometimes this is done when you perform a Shut Down).

Stuartli 11:44 02 Aug 09

Belarc Advisor's warning about missing critical updates with regard to security is connected with the US government's legislation on the subject.

Taff™ 11:47 02 Aug 09

Yes, very common recently. Try this: Turn Off Automatic Updates. Now go to Windows Update and look for Critical Updates. Download and install them. Reboot and repeat until all critical ones are installed. (The one that causes the log jam is to do with .net framework 3.5 incidentally)

You can now review and install the optional one`s. IE8 may be there for example. Finally turn Auto update back on again.

Badger Manutive 17:03 02 Aug 09

When I go to the Microsoft Update site and choose "Custom", the Critical updates listed by Belarc Advisor do not appear, that is when I have to go to the Microsoft Download Centre to search for them quoting the relevant KB numbers listed by Belarc.
Next time this happens I will switch off Automatic Updates as suggested and see what happens!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…