Microsoft Update Warnings

Speedy57 10:50 29 Jan 08

Could any of you 'Techie' guys help me with an update problem? Yesterday I was downloading and installing the following Net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (KB8110806) and Net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 (KB929300) all was going well when I moved the mouse to prevent the screensaver operating, I pressed the cancel button by mistake as I moved the mouse and the installation stopped. I tried again twice and got a failure warning 0x80072F78. I tried to install the above again this morning with the same outcome,failure warnings, how ever I have been able to download and install updates for my HP scanner from the microsoft site, so I am a bit confused whats going on. Reading the help pages there is a programme I could install called guided help but I don't really want to go this way as anything this programme changes cannot be undone afterwards and knowing my sort of luck it will probably 'knacker' my system completely.
I've never had any problems before, so any help and information to get round this problem would be very much appreciated

birdface 11:12 29 Jan 08

click here click here click here I would try the last one first,That has the best record. You may have to re-boot after download.

birdface 11:15 29 Jan 08

Sorry not a Techie guy.Its just programs that have worked for others.You might be better to wait and see if you can get a better solution.

mfletch 12:22 29 Jan 08

Hi,

Uninstall the old versions then reinstall the new,

From Add or Remove Programs,

Here is a removal tool for version 3 but try removing from Add or Remove Programs first,

click here

Do a search for the version 2 removal tool,

mfletch

birdface 12:29 29 Jan 08

It might be this that mfletch is thinking of.click here If you download it.Just delete the programs that need deleting and leave the rest.

cocteau48 12:56 29 Jan 08

.NET Framework removal tool for all versions:
click here
It may show failed the first time you run it but second run shows success.
Very good for those times when a conventional uninstall will not work.

birdface 18:30 31 Jan 08

Any luck fixing it yet.

Flying Teddy 19:18 31 Jan 08

I always have this problem with updates for .Net Framework. They never work. I always have to uninstall the application and then reinstall it, and then the updates work. After several years of this happening, I have never been able to find out why this should be so.

I now use M$'s installation cleanup utility (see above) for this. It worked for this weeks updates.

Good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…