Microsoft update validation

vinnyo123 05:57 12 Aug 05

I recently udated WIN XP and let it change some values in registry(globel startup, activex) . Now it goes through validation check and of course it comes back negitive. How to get it working quickly ?

Should I just roll it back a few days?
Not really in the mood to research this. Damn MS always screwing things up.

And yes it is a legal copy or I wouldn't be asking "been here for awhile"

"wextract_cleanup0" (new data: "rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\advpack.dll,DelNodeRunDLL32 "C:\DOCUME~1\vinny\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\"") added in System Startup global entry!

"wextract_cleanup0" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!

"{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}" (new data: "") added in ActiveX Distribution Unit!

Umbrella 06:59 12 Aug 05

Have you put your win xp cd key in.
I had to keep doing it for a few days before it accepted mine.

Jackcoms 08:07 12 Aug 05

"I recently udated WIN XP and let it change some values"

What exactly is "it" ?

phone microsoft your problem may be OEM software sometimes microsoft will verify and talk you thro what next to validate your current copy
I guess you have tried to do a full install of your upgrade copy that sometimes is the cure

vinnyo123 13:03 12 Aug 05

The three values changed are shown above "via spybot SD-Resident.

Call Microsoft LOL like I'll be able to get in touch with them or get help from them !

Doesn't ask for key just installs some software after the last six updates that recently came out.

I can roll it back also I tried again but same problem. Updates Installs reboot and cannot validate. MS is trying to stop pirating "all good" but gonna tick off customers".

Umbrella 14:14 13 Aug 05

When u try to download antispywarebeta it tells u 2 click continue to validate windows. After installing active x continue then install the windows genuine advantage validation tool then continue then continue then u should be taken back to the download site and your validation is complete. Try that. u dont have to download anything.

howard60 15:09 13 Aug 05

roll back to when all was ok and save the activation files then after you install the updates just reset the activation. The following is how to do it [taken from somewhere on here a while back] Keep your activation status intact when reinstalling XP

Have you ever wanted to reformat the hard disk and reinstall Windows XP on a system but you didn't want to mess around with Microsoft's Product Activation after the reinstall? Fortunately, you don't have to.
As long as you aren't making any hardware alterations, you can back up the activation status files before you reformat the hard drive and then restore them after you reinstall the operating system.
To perform the backup, follow these steps:
1. Use Windows Explorer to open the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
2. Copy the Wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak files to a floppy disk or CD.

To perform the restore, follow these steps:
1. Decline the activation request at the end of the installation procedure, and restart Windows XP.
2. During bootup, press [F8] to access the Windows Advanced Options menu.
3. Choose the Safe Mode (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal) option.
4. Use Windows Explorer to open the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
5. If they exist, rename the new Wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak files to Wpadbl.new and Wpabak.new.
6. Copy the original Wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak files from the floppy disk or CD to the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
7. Restart the system.

howard60 15:12 13 Aug 05

I am not suggesting you reformat just use this procedure to put your activation back as it was.

scannerman 15:37 13 Aug 05

Try going to tools on the top explorer page and click on manage add-ons.

On the top line where it says show set the drop down box to:Add ons that have been used by internet explorer.

You should see an entry saying: Windows Genuine Advantage.

Highlight it by clicking on it and at the bottom of the box select the radio button to Disable.

Restart IExplorer and give the update a try

vinnyo123 16:35 13 Aug 05

Simple but effective tried scannermans suggestion and worked fine.

Thanks saved me alot of research !

tomasel 23:10 14 Aug 05

Like vinnyo, I was refused validation for updates from MS and mine was a genuine XP Pro/SP2 that I've been updating for about 3 yrs.

Thanks to scannerman all is now well but I wish we could blow a collective raspberry at Ms for the trouble they cause.

Do you reckon that all these downloads are necessary?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…