Microsoft Update Patch - Worm/Swen.A

Pesala 11:16 23 Sep 03

This virus is still very active. I had 16 copies in my email this morning, and have received a further half a dozen or so this morning.

Just in case you don't know yet. MICROSOFT NEVER SEND PATCHES OR UPDATES BY EMAIL Do not open any attachment unless you know who it is from, and what it is.

These 22 virus laden emails amount to over 3 Mbytes of trash. What a dreadful abuse of the system. I hope that the originators of this virus will be persecuted by Microsoft - and I do mean persecuted, not just prosecuted.

Pesala 12:45 23 Sep 03

(>_<)

Belatucadrus 12:57 23 Sep 03

Think calming thoughts Pesala, unfortunately there's sod all we can do about it and the picture of a monk suggesting we persecute anybody is too much for such a nice day.
Chill out.

Pesala 13:16 23 Sep 03

Nothing we can do about it indeed!

How many $Billions was lost due to the So-Big virus? This is a serious problem and needs to be addressed. Some perpetrators have been tracked down and prosecuted. This crime should be treated just as seriously as hoax bomb scares. It endangers lives when hospitals and emergency services lose access to their computer networks.

"Chill out." What an insulting remark. I am not upset by this virus. I am just alerting people to this potentially serious problem.

Some people do open these attachments and spoil their day thoroughly.

-pops- 13:27 23 Sep 03

"Some people do open these attachments and spoil their day thoroughly."

Unfortunately those people are unlikely to be readers of this forum.

What is particularly noticeable about this M$ message virus - and the ebay scam which is current - is the lack of publicity given to it by the popular media. Is that because it is so soon after the last big news virus that the editors fear a "virus fatigue" amongst readers and viewers and consequently will be bored by it?

Belatucadrus 13:59 23 Sep 03

Pesala my posting was meant to be light hearted, no insult was intended, yet the rather acidic tone of your response indicates I wasn't far off the mark. I fully endorse your comments on the creators of this rubbish, they waste time, resources and cause great distress to many PC users. They deserve everything the authorities dish out. But beyond maintaining our virus defences, and educating new users in good internet practise don't see what we can constructively do to "persecute" these vermin.

hvs 14:50 23 Sep 03

Pesala. I have just received the very same virus this morning, and I do feel very annoyed that these sods are causing such havoc, but it is up to us internet users to make sure that we keep our systems up to date. I read the postings to the helproom almost everyday and I want to thank PC Advisor for this wonderful site and plenty of useful information. I have fixed so many of my pc problems by just reading about what others have posted to your forum. I read about this virus last week so I recognised what it was it straight awaywhen my as picked it up.

mooghaun 15:09 23 Sep 03

I's 3.10 PM as I write this and I've just counted the amount of i-swen virus emails I've had since I went online at 11 AM this morning. Wait for it ...96. God know now many more I'll recieve before the day is out.

My anti-virus destroys the attachments, and then I block the sender, but there no stopping it, it's been like this for three days.

Is there anything I/we can do other than wait for it to fade out if indeed it does, of simply dispose of the email address it coming through.

leo49 15:13 23 Sep 03

I must be doing something wrong - I've yet to receive any email with virus attachment.

alcudia 15:15 23 Sep 03

Would you like me to send you one of the many I've received.

Pesala 15:21 23 Sep 03

I think that there are things one can do to reduce the interference caused by these attachments. One thing would be to check the mail on the server and delete it before downloading it. In the case of this Swen.A worm the attachment's size of 156 K is an obvious pointer.

I have just changed my settings in Opera, not to download the message body while checking. Perhaps this way help.

I am sure tighter regulations, and better protection at the server level could help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…