Microsoft update - Laptop frozen keyboard & mouse

aceruser 22:51 17 Feb 09

I recently accepted an automatic update from Microsoft and when I switched my laptop (Acer Aspire 1640) on again I found I could not move the mouse arrow and all the keys are inactive. I have tried switching on and off several times but to no avail. I can't even take it back to "factory settings" as it will not respond to anything, however all the programmes do load up (not that I can do anything with them). If anyone can help I would be most grateful as I have hardly used the laptop and need it for a business trip!

Diodorus Siculus 22:55 17 Feb 09

Can you try an external mouse?

aceruser 23:35 17 Feb 09

I have tried to use an external mouse and it doesn't work either. Thanks anyway.

Diodorus Siculus 23:41 17 Feb 09

Can you press F5 / F8 at boot-up until you get the menu offering safe-mode? From there you may be able to do a system restore.

aceruser 10:42 18 Feb 09

None of the keys were responding even at boot-up. However after searching the web for hours I came across someone who had a similar problem a while ago. By removing the battery and starting up again without it, it seems to have cleared the problem. Many thanks.

Diodorus Siculus 11:11 18 Feb 09

New one to me... thanks for the update.

Cheers, Dio

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…