MICROSOFT UPDATE KB885295

bpzoom 10:13 01 Oct 04

XP Home Service pack 2. I had set my system to receive and load automatic updates from Microsoft. I now regret that. I noticed an update appeared to have been downloaded on 29th September numbered as above. When I came to use the machine later, Windows explorer would not open files on the C drive, Microsoft Word 2000 would not open any file except after a huge delay and without any menus. McAfee icon disappeared from the sys tray. I ran a full virus check which was negative, and only the usual couple of Spyware bits were present and removed. I restored the system to a point just before the alleged KB885295, and the problems disappeared. I looked on the Microsoft site for details of the nature of KB885295, and none were available. I phoned a friend with a similar system XP HOme and SP2 and he had not had any update since 15th September. If anyone else can throw light on this I would be grateful. I have altered my Microsoft update download setting to inform me first before downloading!

Baledor 10:22 01 Oct 04

to the Windows XP SP2 forum? KI haven't installed SP2 myself so I can't comment, sorry.

Djohn 11:05 01 Oct 04

I have XP Pro SP2 set for auto download and install. On checking, there has not been an update to my system so I tried a manual check just now but the site says I'm up to date and no downloads are available.

Not sure why you received one, it may be because your using the Home version and the requirements are different but this also appears strange as your friend is also using the home version and did not received the update.

bpzoom 11:11 01 Oct 04

Baledor, thanks I have posted it to the SP2 forum as you suggested. We will see what transpires.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac