microsoft update files on pc

craigy1 08:58 20 May 06

hi all,

I know it might be a simple question but I want to formatt my hard drive.

I would like to know if the updates from microsoft are on my pc. These are the automatic updates that you can get. Are they stored on the pc so I can just copy them and then re-install them once the formatt has finished?

This would save me having to download most of them again!!!

Thanks

Craig

gudgulf 09:33 20 May 06

I use this click here

Download it and burn the file to a cd.......it contains all the updates plus a few optional tweaks and add-ons as well(but only post SP2).

All you do is install XP and make sure it is up to SP2 level then install and run Autopatcher..it will bring your Windows installation up to May 2006 (latest edition) in an unattended install.

Then run Windows Update for the very latest updates and remove Autopatcher with its desktop uninstaller.

gudgulf 09:45 20 May 06

I should add that I don't know of a way to simply extract the updates from your original installation...they change and update the whole system and are deeply embedded in Windows.

AotopatcherXP will allow you to get as near to a fully patched system as possible BEFORE you go online........it's also much quicker than using Microsofts update site.

Well worth the time it takes to download.......unless you are on dialup that is!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now