Microsoft update failed to install.

tardis100 15:59 17 Nov 09

For quite a while now the update KB955706 has failed to install on my Laptop. I am getting more frustrated by the day! It downloads automatically and then after trying to install it tells me it hasn’t. I have Googled everywhere!! and searched all over Microsoft.com and been directed to other forums too and while I have seen that I am not the only person having this problem I either couldn’t complete or couldn’t understand some of the options that were offered. Everything I have tried has failed. I am running Windows XP Professional SP3 (it seems that the Professional bit may be the sticking point) So my question is 1) Do I really need this update, does anyone know what it does? and 2) does anyone have a solution for me. I think I have gathered that I need something called SQL Server 2005 I have tried to download this but even that fails and I get “The SQL Server failed to start” I have been to so many different pages and sites that I have lost track of where I have been! I’ve noted that some people have said manually download to the desktop and then install manually - but how do I download the file to the desktop—it only wants to download and install no option to save to the desktop. Please can anyone help and the simpler the answer the better please!

Sea Urchin 16:30 17 Nov 09

On this forum scroll down to Topspeak's solution - looks promising.

click here

tardis100 17:13 17 Nov 09

Thanks Sea Urchin for that. I think I am doomed!! Downloaded the Installer clean up package but when I opened it there were no SQL installation files there. So nothing to remove. I checked in Control Panel-Admin Tools-Services and there are 4 references to SQL (not 2005 Express Edition SP3 though) which I think is what I want. So thanks for trying but I don't seem to be any further forward.

Graphicool1 17:57 17 Nov 09

System Requirements...
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 2000 Service Pack 4;
Windows 7;
Windows Server 2003;
Windows Server 2008;
Windows Server 2008 R2;
Windows Vista;
Windows XP
32-bit systems (x86)
PC with Intel or compatible Pentium III 600 MHz or higher processor (1 GHz or faster recommended)
64-bit systems (x64, ia64)
1GHz or faster processor
Minimum of 512 MB of RAM (1 GB or more recommended)
675 MB of available hard disk space

Note: SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3 (SP3) is designed to run on...
Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008.

Instructions
Note: You must have administrative rights on the computer to install SQL Server 2005 SP3.

Step 1: Download and review the setup documentation and readme file. For known issues, review the release notes.

Step 2: Download the appropriate package
To start the installation immediately, click Run. To install SP3 at a later time, click Save.

Source of the above info and download...
click here

tardis100 23:26 17 Nov 09

Thanks Graphicool1 I've been to this page many a time and tried to complete the options but either I am doing something very wrong or missing out a vital stage or trying to download the wrong files but nothing works for me. Can someone tell me how important this download is and/or what it is supposed to do? I'm on the point of giving up trying to get it sorted.

Graphicool1 09:30 18 Nov 09

Microsoft say that SP3 is a bug fix, for previous SP's. Scroll down and read, it's a very long list...click here

tardis100 15:34 18 Nov 09

Thanks Graphicool1 I'm really floundering now just spent about an hour on the ms list of bugs site that you pointed me to not really understanding what it is saying I feel completely out of my depth can't even find KB955706 which is the ms-download that wont install - so I'm giving up. Thanks for trying to sort me out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac