Microsoft Update Annoying.

prince midas 16:49 17 Feb 06

I have just purchased a new computor which was fitted with microsoft automatic update downloads.
As I am on normal slow dialup I find that it tends to cut in when I am using the computor and it blocks my other downloads by hogging my small bandwidth.I disabled the automatic updates but now when I start windows it comes up with a message that my updates are disabled and it keeps asking me every few minutes to enable itself. I cannot disable it to stop doing this, any ideas appreciated.

originalmiscellany 16:56 17 Feb 06

there is a way to do it - i'll just see if i can find an answer for you which will be of more use to other posts you may have received...

originalmiscellany 16:59 17 Feb 06

under "security centre" - if you have a new version of windows XP you should find it includes an update which has security centre there.

Under "automatic updates", you should be able to tick on "turn off automatic updates"

That should resolve it for you.

ICF 17:01 17 Feb 06

Control panel,performance & maintenance,System and click the Automatic updates tab then select your choice.

pauliesmithie 17:06 17 Feb 06

Ignore Bill Gates, you can still check for updates manually when you want. To disable auto updates:

1)Click start-->Run
2)Type: services.msc
3)Right click "Automatic Updates"
4)In the "Startup Type" dropdown menu select "Disabled" and click OK (at the bottom).
5)When you next re-start it should be disabled.

When you want to check for updates, change the setting back to Automatic and re-start. Hope that helps.

Devil Fish 17:12 17 Feb 06

to stop the messages

go to control panel security centre left hand side change the way security centre alerts me uncheck automatic updates this will stop the message saying auto update turned off

prince midas 17:30 17 Feb 06

Thanks Guys apart from You Know Who,, Who I thought was out order.I like to upgrade when I want and which updates I require and not When I am downloading something else at the time.

Jak_1 20:15 17 Feb 06

I dissabled automatic updates as I found it very obtrusive, just like Microshaft, lol.
I use 3rd party security programs as I find them much better than microsofts updates.

rômanab 20:19 17 Feb 06

You can set windows to just notify you when updates are available, you can then download them when you are ready.

bluto1 23:02 17 Feb 06

Hiya prince midas, I think you`ve been updated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos