Microsoft Update.

GORAL 17:33 31 Aug 03

Can anyone help please. Over a period of time I tend to regularly check the Windows Update site and (usually) download any updates - certainly any Critical Updates. Am using Win XP Home + SP1.

Problem comes when it's necessary to re-install XP, get a new hard drive, or get a new PC. By such time you can imagine there are hours of downloads which of course and not installed automatically

Is there any way that I could download M/Softs updates onto (say) a CD to keep for such eventualities instead of simply downloading to my C drive, and thus avoid the need to start all the downloads again !

hugh-265156 18:10 31 Aug 03

click here and go to the windows update catalogue on the left,click updates for windows operationg systems.choose your OS and click advanced search and the boxes you require and click a catagory.wait for the updates to load and click add on any you want to download browse and select a folder to download download.burn to cdr.

GORAL 20:04 31 Aug 03

Thanks very much huggyg71 for your quick response. I shall hopefully be able to sort out the problem from the information you have supplied.

Only one slight problem - partway through the process I have to select between XP 64 bit edition SP1 and XP SP1.

How can I find out if I have a 64 bit version of XP or not???

keenan 20:23 31 Aug 03

You,ll find your probably running Xp 32 as most of us.
click,START,Run type in - system 32 this should open showing programs etc.

If you do the same and type- system 64 ,you should get an error message.

XP SP1 should be the one you need.

hugh-265156 20:38 31 Aug 03

cllick start/control panel/system and under the general tab it will say if its home/pro edt sp1 etc.

you would know if you had 64bit mere mortals have 32 bit.

GORAL 20:41 31 Aug 03

Many thanks indeed to hyggyg71 and keenan. As always I have found helpful gentlemen on this invaluable site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…