microsoft takeover

Dasmad 22:30 19 Jul 10

I just bought an ACER notebook with Win 7 Starter and spent a few hours switching to Firefox browser and Avast free anti-virus program, whilst avoiding the bundled Macafee invitations, and removed IE from the taskbar once I'd done my downloads. All was fine when I shut down, but on reboot no sign of Firefox or Avast in start menu or program files, and I had to locate with win explorer and run from there...........
My question is "is this normal or please explain, and how can I get icons back into my taskbar ?"
It look sto me like purposeful obfuscation built in to Win 7.

woodchip 22:57 19 Jul 10

The EXE file you used to start them in Explorer right click it then drag to start button wait then to task bar let go choose create shortcut

woodchip 22:58 19 Jul 10

Check Settings for task bar by right click on it then properties

northumbria61 23:03 19 Jul 10

How did you manage to spend a few hours switching to Firefox when it can be downloaded and installed in a matter of minutes ?

You should be able to locate both in your downloads folder and run setup again - this should restore your icons.

mooly 07:42 20 Jul 10

You need to run the Mcaffe dedicated removal tool before installing any other security software. This is vital to do.
click here

As it's all new why not run the Acer recovery routine and start again. It's in the manual (pdf on hdd) how to run this.

Avast is fine, MSE the Microsoft offering is imo better as it offers guaranteed compatablity. Up to you of course what you use.

Dasmad 09:38 20 Jul 10

thanks woodchip and mooly..........
I've only just found Acer manual; and I'll take a look at MSE too.
But I still can't understand why Firefox doesn't show up in "programs" in the start menu !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…