Microsoft Security essentials Scan froze

gel 07:44 16 Jan 10

Hi
I have un installed all my security programmers Avast Zone alarm ect and installed Microsoft Security essentials
It seems fine and does a quick scan OK
But when I attempt a full scan it stops
Has any one else had this problem ?
gel

mooly 08:22 16 Jan 10

Most of the issues with MSE have been caused by incomplete uninstallation of previous products.
click here

gel 10:15 16 Jan 10

Hi mooly
Thanks for your reply
The reference you gave is a very comprehensive useful document
Could I assume that you are using MSE and if so what is your verdict?
Thanks
gel

Technotiger 10:28 16 Jan 10

Hmm, I have just read through mooly's link, a bit OTT IMHO. I downloaded and installed MSE very shortly after it had appeared on the scene, I did not uninstall or disable any of my other security programs. I use Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, as well as Sunbelt Pers Firewall and Diskeeper. I have had no problems at all, and am very pleased with MSE, which I certainly recommend to anyone looking for a good, very easy to use Anti-virus and Malware program.

I have XP Home (SP3).

gel 10:35 16 Jan 10

Thanks Technotiger
I am trying to use MSE as stand alone Security for an old desk top which I just keep going in case my Lap top developers a fault
Would MSE be suitable.
Thanks
gel

Technotiger 10:43 16 Jan 10

Yes ...

gel 10:54 16 Jan 10

Thanks Technotiger
gel

mooly 12:43 16 Jan 10

I have been using MSE since it appeared in beta form and am very impressed.
Best features are that it has no noticeable impact on performance in normal use and that it promises total compatability with Windows, which is the main reason I had to abandon my paid for security and do a clean install to put right problems it had caused.
I firmly believe in not using tweaky stuff and reg cleaners etc. Windows (Vista) has all you need for keeping things running well.

My main whinge is this,
click here

You'll find loads of useful info on the MSE forums reachable from the above link.

gel 21:39 16 Jan 10

Thank you mooly. I have read 'my main whinge ' link.
It was fascinating to say the least regarding what would appear a simple matter, if any thing is simple with PC,s
You obviously imputed a great deal of effort
Thank you
gel

gel 12:53 21 Jan 10

I was still getting freezing when doing a full scan.
The reply from Microsoft resolved the matter

1. Open the Microsoft Security Essentials.
2. Go to the Settings tab and select the Excluded Files & Locations.
3. Browse and locate (C:\Program files\Common files\Microsoft shared\Shoebox\Standard.SBT/13638)
THIS WAS THE FILE THAT WAS FREEZING THE P C .

4. Add it to the list of Excluded Files & Locations and Click on save changes.
5. Try to work on the Microsoft Office applications now

Remove any existing Internet security programs, Antivirus programs and Firewall related programs.

May be this will help others
gel

mooly 17:40 21 Jan 10

Very pleased you have it sorted... MS are pretty helpful I have found in the past.

I just googled "Microsoft shared shoebox" and sure enough it comes up as scan freezing, not just with MSE but other security products too.

Never heard of "shoebox" before.
Looked and I haven't got one though :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…