Is Microsoft Security Essentials falling behind?

hawthorn59 18:46 08 Dec 10

Hi

Just read the review on this site of MSE and it wasnt as favourable as last year. It recommended using Avira AntiVir Personal.

What does anyone else think (esp. anyone who has read the review)?

h

birdface 19:00 08 Dec 10

Link.

click here

jamesd1981 20:42 08 Dec 10

i was using mse up until couple months ago and i found it has got very update hungry and intrusive, i started using the new avg which is a big improvement over avg 9.0, not download hungry and hardly any of the old annoying pop ups.

john bunyan 21:25 08 Dec 10

I have used Avira with no problems since switching to W7 a year ago.

john bunyan 21:26 08 Dec 10

I have used Avira with no problems since switching to W7 a year ago.

john bunyan 21:27 08 Dec 10

sorry for double post.

mooly 12:13 09 Dec 10

I still rate MSE highly. I'm surprised to see jamesd1981 refer to it as update hungry and intrusive. The daily auto update takes around 30 seconds to install... the only clue is a little flurry of HDD activity and the icon changing to the downloading symbol. On my settings a quick daily scan follows immediately, this time with a small pop up at bottom right of screen which collapes after 5 seconds or so. The scan takes 6 minutes with little impact on performance.
That is all I ever see of it.

The best points for me are that it impacts little on performance... on a 4 year old laptop (AMD Turion 64mobile) running Vista that's important. The other major plus is guaranteed compatability with Windows... and many threads relate to various issues with other programs.

As to effectiveness,
click here

and this (read it all)
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…