Microsoft Security Essentials?

Legslip 22:16 18 Apr 10

Have just loaded MSE onto a PC running XP. Is it OK to have MSE as the only line of defence or should I add additional firewall -
/ anti spyware programmes?

Technotiger 22:17 18 Apr 10

You should have a Firewall and at least Malwarebytes, in addition to MSE.

john bunyan 22:28 18 Apr 10

Free firewalls: Comodo (a bit intrusive); PC Tools -seems fine; Zone Alarm - I use PC Too;s. I agree with Technotiger re anti malware, and maybe have Superantispyware also.

Legslip 23:15 18 Apr 10

Thanks people. Regarding Malewarebytes, I have used it and it is a grear bit of freeware but it is passive (I think). Are there any active anti maleware programmes?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:21 18 Apr 10

I use windows defender real time backed up with Malwarebytes and SperAntispyware weekly scans and spwareblaster as a blocker.

With Avast antivirus.

Not had a problem for years

onthelimit 08:36 19 Apr 10

But doesn't MSE replace Windows Defender?

Legslip 09:49 19 Apr 10

Onthelimit, yes it does but I think you'll see that fruitbat is using Avast + others and not MSE. To further the discussion, are there no active anti-maleware programmes because if I install Malewabytes & Spywareblaster on friends PC's they never run the b....y things!

provider 2 10:04 19 Apr 10

I don`t think SpywareBlaster `runs` in the usual sense. See 5 click here

Pine Man 10:04 19 Apr 10

'Malewabytes & Spywareblaster on friends PC's they never run the b....y things!'

You don't run spywareblaster it blocks any problems and cannot scan.

mooly 12:25 19 Apr 10

For a normal user MSE and windows own firewall is OK.

It's vital to only have ONE security package running in real time. To have more than one causes false alarms, slowdowns, crashes and freezing.
That applies to any... not just MSE.

On demand scanners such as Malwarebytes are OK as they do not run in real time.

And MSE is great :)

thumbscrew 07:23 20 Apr 10

Try combining MSE with Ashampoo Firewall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…