Microsoft security essential problem

Bike-it 21:15 13 Jul 10

I have been using MSE for about two months but today it will not let me update it, the system tray icon is always green but today it is orange, anyone else having this problem or know how i can fix this.

Eargasm 21:27 13 Jul 10

If it is orange, you need to perform a scan

Bike-it 21:52 13 Jul 10

I ran a scan earlier today, it did not find anything.

Eargasm 22:05 13 Jul 10

Mine is green, but no update today
virus and spyware definitions 1.85.1948.0

on 12/7/2010 at 22.26

Bike-it 22:08 13 Jul 10

I have the same definition as you but the icon is orange. HELP

Eargasm 22:25 13 Jul 10

Have you any other antimalware programs on your computer ? Malwarebytes free works fine with MSE but the paid for version has issues.
Also if you have recently updated Adobe Flash check if you have inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scanner.

Bike-it 22:31 13 Jul 10

I use Malwarebytes and ran it earlier it too never found anything. i didnt update adobe flash recently.

Eargasm 22:41 13 Jul 10

I have just checked MSE Update again and it has updated to 1.85.2014.0

13/7/2010 at 18.07

It might be worth checking again, only other thing i can think of if your clock set right ?

Bike-it 22:50 13 Jul 10

I have just updated MSE to 1.85.2014.0 but the icon is still orange.

Eargasm 23:04 13 Jul 10

Have you re-booted the PC since the last update, worth a try. If using IE reset all security zones to default level.
Can you remove and try re-installing MSE ?
Failing that have you got a green felt tip pen?
( sorry not much help i know ) but i am stumped now, i have been using it since it first came out without problems .

Chris_Byers 08:48 14 Jul 10

It could well be that your Security Essentials update was corrupt. Follow these steps to delete the update.

Right-click My Computer and select ‘Manage’.

Expand ‘Services and Applications’ select ‘Services’ and right-click ‘Automatic Updates’ and click ‘Stop’.

Navigate to your Windows system folder (c:\windows) and delete the ‘SoftwareDistribution’ folder located there.

Reboot Windows. This will recreate the SoftwareDistribution folder.

Run Windows Update then check for updates to Security Essentials.

If this does not work uninstall Security Essentials, reboot and download a fresh copy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…