Microsoft rang to warn about system crash? Scam surely?

buel 02 Aug 11

Hi, a friend has just yold me that, apparently, Microsoft rang him last week to say his 'system is about to crash'! He hung up on them but still thinks it was genuine as they had his number, address, name etc! I've told him it was a scam but he is still insisting on wiping his system this weekend! Any thoughts please?

gengiscant 02 Aug 11

Of course its a scam!!!!

buel 02 Aug 11

ha ha, yes i know that but id like to know how they were able to know his details?

tullie 02 Aug 11

Heard of the Electoral Roll?And even the phone book etc,etc.

buel 02 Aug 11

Thanks for the sarcy reply- yes of course i've heard of it! I suppose i should change my question to is it a common scam?

iscanut2 02 Aug 11

Yes..It is fairly common. There have been postings here previously on the subject.

onthelimit1 02 Aug 11

Seven people from my (small) village have called me recently to ask if it was a genuine call! May be they swamp numbers on a local exchange one at a time.

ams4127 02 Aug 11

It's very common. I had one a couple of weeks ago and, when I asked him what Microsoft had to do with Linux, he surprisingly hung up!

ventanas 02 Aug 11

Had quite a few of these. I just get very personal about their parentage and hang up.

bob dob 10 Aug 11

hi, another friend recently had a box pop up in the bottom left hand of the screen stating that his 'Computer needs updating'+when he clicked it it requested payment. Please may i ask is this a common one+is it malware?

bremner 10 Aug 11

Yes to both

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message