Microsoft Powerpoint - Animate!

Hi all,

I am wanting to do a presentation in Powerpoint (I am currently using Office 2003, but it is much the same os for Office XP) and I wish to use an image captured from a screen shot with animations laid on top.

The idea is that the Screen Shot is an actual online form and ideally I would wish to show the entering of the data and movement of the mouse cursor before moving onto the next slide e.g. Start with shot of form, move mouse to text box, enter text, move mouse to search and then the next slide appears.

It is essential that I use the actual form that appears on the website (I can only either use a screen shot or save as web page to capture this image) and I am not that up on powerpoint.

Anyone with any experience that could shed some light on how best to do this? If so, beware, that there may be many more questions as to voice over, music and movies..........!

If that does not put you off then many thanks for your help!

Forum Editor 08:20 14 Jun 03

is quite possible in PowerPoint 2003, once you have your screenshot on a slide.

1. Create your mouse pointer by inserting an appropriate auto shape at the point on the slide where you want the mouse pointer to start.

2. Now go to Slide show/custom animation

3. Select 'Add effect'and select 'Motion paths'

4. Select 'Draw custom path' and then 'Line'

5. Draw the line to the point where you want the mouse to finish, and then click.

Now, when you run the slide show you'll see exactly the effect that you want.

By experimenting with the various custom settings you'll find that you can create an excellent animated tutorial with PowerPoint, but be prepared to invest some time in fine-tuning the effects.

jazzypop 08:32 14 Jun 03

A simplistic (i.e. fairly easy) approach ...

Open a blank slide.

Insert your background screenshot of your form - if you click once on it, you will be able to resize and position it as you wish.

Right-click the toolbar and tick the Drawing toolbar (unless it is already open).

Click once on the Textbox icon, then click once on your slide to create a new Textbox. Don't worry about the positioning for now. Type the text that you would want to appear in the first blank box of your form.

When you have finished typing, carefully move the mouse to the edge of the Textbox. The cursor will change, and allow you to position the box where you want it.

If you position the cursor as in the previous step (at the edge of the Textbox), right-click and you can select 'Format Textbox'. Choose this, and adjust the border (line) as required - I suggest None.

Click inside the Textbox and highlight the text to select font size, style, name etc.

Do the same with a text box for the second part of the form.

Now to animate ...

Go to Slideshow > Custom Animation

Select the background picture, choose Add effect > Entrance > Fade (from the window that appears on the right).

Now select the first Textbox, choose Entrance > Typewriter

Then apply the same effect to the second Textbox.

Repeat for as many Textboxes as you require.

This will get you started. Note that you can select any item and choose the order in which they appear, whether they appear automatically after a set time or when the mouse is clicked.

The moving mouse cursor is slightly more complex, but follows the same principle. The trick here is to insert a picture of a mouse cursor (search Google for free clipart), then use the Add effects > Motion paths option.

If you position a cursor picture in (say) the bottom left initially, you should be able to move it to the start of the first Textbox with a little experimentation. Then, either interleave a movement of the cursor to the next box between the appearance of the first and second textbox, or create a new cursor image that starts at the 1st textbox and moves to the second textbox.

Hope that gets you started ... believe me, it took far longer to type this than it will take you to complete all the steps here :)

All the above is relevant to the 2002 version.

Many thanks for your excellent advice -

Will start to practice this afternoon and see what results I get and post back.

Again, your adivce is much appreciated - thank you

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…