Microsoft Outlook problem anyone?

Effie 22:26 30 Oct 08

I have saved valuable e-mails in a backup from MS Outlook Express, which I normally use, as I was having problems with the main computer.

I now need to do a bit of moving of them from there to Outlook Express . Unfortunately, MS Outlook Express doesn't seem to be recognizing that MS Outlook exists so I'm stuck, especially as I no longer have MS Word on this computer to try to do some copying and pasting etc .

Suggestion anyone please?

Technotiger 22:33 30 Oct 08

I don't fully understand your question - maybe you have left out some details, like how and where you saved the backup?

However, perhaps if you read through this, it might help ... click here

Effie 23:33 30 Oct 08

Thanks Technotiger and Beta.

I exported it to another partition as a temporary measure and saved to disc as a PST file but Express can't seem to find this file anywhere. It seems to be looking for a programme , not a file even if I save the stuff to My Documents, I get no where.

Is there any way this stuff can be crossed over or what should I do next to try to recover this stuff in a different format that maybe OE might happily import from??

Ashrich 00:11 31 Oct 08

Outlook Express saves files as .dbx files and Outlook saves them as .pst files , I don't think the two are compatible and one file will need to be converted to be opened in the other .

Ashley

Stuartli 00:13 31 Oct 08

Er, no thanks...:-)

Effie 10:06 31 Oct 08

Ashrock, how could it be conveted do you by any chance know?

Technotiger 10:16 31 Oct 08

You might find a converter here, but I have not searched ...

click here

mimosa418 11:54 31 Oct 08

You can import outlook files into outlook express by going to Files/import/messages and following through the wizard. As far as I know both programs have to be on the same machine.

Ashrich 19:26 31 Oct 08

I would try downloading Mozilla Thunderbird , installing it and making it the default program for email , then open the file/folder where you have stored your .pst files and you should see that they have a little Thunderbird icon next to them . Double click on the individual files and they should open in the appropriate program . From there you can copy them to your inbox (message/copy/local folders , select where you want to store them )

You can then import them to your other email program .

This works with Outlook Express emails , I reckon it should work with Outlook ones as well , when you have finished you can uninstall Thunderbird if you wish .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…