Microsoft Outlook Not Responding

Dodee 20:34 06 Jan 03
  Dodee 20:34 06 Jan 03

Hi All
I have just started receiving the following message when I try to open Microsoft Outlook (used mainly for email):

The sysytem is dangerously low in resources!
Would you like to terminate the following application?
Microsoft Outlook [Not responding] Yes No Cancel

I can think of no reason for this happening, I have not added or deleted anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Knight

jazzypop 20:45 06 Jan 03

If this is a general problem, click here for an explanation

If it specific to Outlook, it may be that you just have too many emails in the various folders. Trying emptying the Deleted folder, or archiving your Inbox

jazzypop 22:01 06 Jan 03

Received by email....

"Hi Jazzypop

Thanks for your message, I think that may well be the problem however I cannot open outlook to delete anything. When I try to open by whatever means it just hangs. How can I delete various folders within outlook?

Thanks again

Dave"

As a general point, it is more helpful to you if you reply using the message box at the bottom of the screen, rather than by using the email envelope icon. That way, everyone can see the progress of the thread, and contribute as they see fit.

The first thing to try is to make sure that nothing that is not necessary is running.

It would be helpful to know which version of Windows you are running, to advise on the best way of doing this.

(If you are already confident doing so, you can just disable all unnecessary programs using msconfig.)

Can you also just confirm that it is Outlook you are using, not Outlook Express?

michelleuk 22:20 06 Jan 03

Hi,

This won't be much of a help but I get this message on a number of programmes. Very infrequently, normally pressing ctrl alt and del twice to reboot the computer stops the problem, and my system is back to normal.

Michelle:-)

Dodee 07:08 07 Jan 03

Hi

I am using windows 98se and yes, confirm using microsoft outlook.

Thanks Again

Dave

PA28 08:31 07 Jan 03

I had this - and similar - error messages within Outlook recently. The answer was to remove (via the Control Panel, Add/Remove Windows components) Outlook Express. Then reboot and reverse the process by reinstalling Outlook Express. Apparently Outlook needs Outlook Express correctly installed underneath it to work properly. May be worth a try as it worked for me?

jazzypop 11:02 07 Jan 03

The basic approach here is to start your PC with as few resources taken up by unnecessary programs. Then, open Outlook, and delete unneeded emails and/or archive them.

If you click here , you will find a very useful explanation of the various ways to stop programs running at startup. Read the introductory sections ( WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?, HOW CAN I IDENTIFY THESE PROGRAMS?, HOW CAN I DISABLE THEM FROM RUNNING AT START-UP?) and then, in the Programs section, click on the 'Full List' link. This will allow you to identify what is being run at startup, and grabbing all those resources.

I would recommend that you use msconfig to disable all unnecessary programs, and reboot. Once you have rebooted, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to ensure that you have nothing except systray and explorer running, then open Outlook.

Once Outlook is open, I suggest you delete all emails in your Deleted Items folder, and Archive all items in your Inbox more than (say) 6 months old. The Help file in Outlook will explain Archiving, but the simple approach is to go to File > Archive from within Outlook.

I realise that you have a bit of reading to do before you can tackle the problem, but I have to go out for most of the day, and I wanted to be able to point you at a comprehensive source of information.

Of course, the best source of information is this forum. If you get stuck at all, please post back here. There are many people on this site who can and will help you through any hiccups that you may encounter.

Good luck - it is a lot easier than it first appears :)

Dodee 19:15 08 Jan 03

Hi Everyone...sorted, thanks for all your help and great site Jazzypop,

Thanks again

Dave

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…