Microsoft Outlook Back-Up to My Documents

Enoch 06:25 05 Mar 05

Help please. I run XP and I am trying to back-up Microsoft Outlook address book and calendar. I put all my personal files into MyDocuments, then create a CD which I keep separate from my PC. On all my personal files this works perfectly.

I have been trying for hours to copy my Address book and calendar into MyDocuments, but whichever way I do it, I seem only to be backing a shortcut. After exporting or saving to MyDocuments I check. It is where it should be. However, when I make a correction to either the MyDocuments copy or my live copy in Microsoft Outlook, the change is also in the other, which proves it is a mirror image and not a save copy at a point in time.

Please help me to back up my calendar and address book into MyDocuments without the mirror image

Forum Editor 08:02 05 Mar 05

that will backup your Outlook folders for you. You can download it from

click here

Enoch 10:36 05 Mar 05

Forum Editor

Thank you very much for the advice regarding the "Personal Folder Back Up Tool". Since your message I have downloaded it and have spent the last few hours experimenting and so far it does exactly what I want it to do.

Another problem solved.

Thanks again

Blott 10:44 05 Mar 05

I regularly backup my Outlook (outlook 2000), but have only Win98, so may not be applicable to your problem.

With Outlook open go File>backup

This opens a window "Outlook Personal Folders Backup"

Click Options

This opens a window "Backup Options"

Click Browse

Select the backup directory you want and then click OK.

------------------------------------------

It may then tell you it can't backup whilst Outlook is open - no problem, it backs up as soon as you close down.

The backup is in the form of a *.pst file.

It backs up all the "Personal Files", which include the calendar and contacts. If you click on the title bar of whatever you have open (Outlook Today for Instance) you get a directory listing of whatever is included in "personal files"

I set mine to remind me of a backup daily and do just what you require - backup to a "Backup" directory on HDD and then that gets put on CD (I must admit, not daily).

Regards
Blott

Enoch 17:34 05 Mar 05

Blott,

The "Forum Editors" advice was great and I am sticking with the suggestion and downloaded as advised. I experimented in numerous ways and it proved itself so I am very satisfied. Nevertheless thanks for being involved and again thanks to the Forum Editor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…